TT: Let's face it, this team is not a playoff caliber team

Tony-OH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I was riding on the John Deere this afternoon, I had a return of hope and inspiration. Expectations of this team now are much reduced. The common wisdom is that they are done. Pressure is actually lower compared to being in first place right now. This day off could not have come at a better moment and the month has changed over too. Some new teammates and a core group that has grown very accustomed since 2012 to pushing it hard in September. I am thinking that we are going on another streak of say 7 wins in a row and that we will come storming from behind and surprise the naysayers, including me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only thing that I can think of that could give me any bit of hope is that maybe Toronto and Boston somehow falter, too. I just don't see how this team ends up in the playoffs, let alone having to win 5 in a row like last year to finish at .500.

Next year could be good with Tillman, Gausman and Bundy but I'd like to know how we'd get rid of Gallardo, Jimenez and Miley, first. We can't give 30 starts to any of those guys or we'll be screwed.

Oriole fans are a sorry bunch, giving up on a team that is four games out of first place after leading much of the season and tied for a Wild Card slot. With a month of baseball left to play yet! As some of you like to label what is supposedly your own team: PATHETIC.

While doom and gloom in the theme of the day I am having none of it. Buck does well handling an expanded roster and to say the O's are adding nothing in September is not my way of thinking.

If the O's get Tillman back it will be a big boost. Gausman has pitched like a ace in August going 4-2 with a 2.42 ERA. He finally looks like the ace we hoped he would be. Bundy has been a nice addition to the rotation.

From the farm the O's are adding Drake would has been one of the best relievers in the minors for a few years. He is finally in a position where the O's need him this month and there is a good chance he is up to the task.

Lefty Aquino is 23 years old and has moved from a starter at Bowie to a reliever at AAA. He has does well with 2.08 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. Middle inning relief is where the will be pitch in September and we get to see if he can step up.

Lefty Duensing is finally healthy and has done well on rehab at Bowie.

We probably see some sort of a six man rotation in August if Tillman returns. Gausman may stay of 4 days rest because he is pitching so well. The O's can shorten up some of the starters as they go to an 8 or 9 man pen.

Jones may be back tonight. The captain can spark this team if healthy. A big September from Pearce could be a plus. He had an 854 OPS in August. Celeb will be back and the pitchers have a lot of faith in Celeb's game calling. Bourn and Stubb should help with late inning defense helping to replace Rickard and pushing Remold down the bench. The cooler nights will help the bodies. Wieters normally perks up in September.

People that say the farm does produce anything aren't remembering that Bundy, Givens and Hart are in their first season full seasons. Aquino could be a nice addition.

Dan adds not only from the farm. Trumbo, Kim, Alvarez, Miley, Worley. A lot of fans want to poop poop Miley but he has won 16 games in the passed and pitched over 200 innings twice. He is only 29. Now that he has his feet on the ground with the O's we may see something a lot better have the 7.00 ERA he currently has. I would not sleep in this guy.

I don't know where this season goes but I am not giving up on it. This team has heart and the additions could help. Just have to wait as see.

As for next year I expect the O's will not blow it up as long as Buck it here. They will retool. The big factor that bothers me is that the fans are not showing up at the park.

While doom and gloom in the theme of the day I am having none of it. Buck does well handling an expanded roster and to say the O's are adding nothing in September is not my way of thinking.

If the O's get Tillman back it will be a big boost. Gausman has pitched like a ace in August going 4-2 with a 2.42 ERA. He finally looks like the ace we hoped he would be. Bundy has been a nice addition to the rotation.

From the farm the O's are adding Drake would has been one of the best relievers in the minors for a few years. He is finally in a position where the O's need him this month and there is a good chance he is up to the task.

Lefty Aquino is 23 years old and has moved from a starter at Bowie to a reliever at AAA. He has does well with 2.08 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. Middle inning relief is where the will be pitch in September and we get to see if he can step up.

Lefty Duensing is finally healthy and has done well on rehab at Bowie.

We probably see some sort of a six man rotation in August if Tillman returns. Gausman may stay of 4 days rest because he is pitching so well. The O's can shorten up some of the starters as they go to an 8 or 9 man pen.

Jones may be back tonight. The captain can spark this team if healthy. A big September from Pearce could be a plus. He had an 854 OPS in August. Celeb will be back and the pitchers have a lot of faith in Celeb's game calling. Bourn and Stubb should help with late inning defense helping to replace Rickard and pushing Remold down the bench. The cooler nights will help the bodies. Wieters normally perks up in September.

People that say the farm does produce anything aren't remembering that Bundy, Givens and Hart are in their first season full seasons. Aquino could be a nice addition.

Dan adds not only from the farm. Trumbo, Kim, Alvarez, Miley, Worley. A lot of fans want to poop poop Miley but he has won 16 games in the passed and pitched over 200 innings twice. He is only 29. Now that he has his feet on the ground with the O's we may see something a lot better have the 7.00 ERA he currently has. I would not sleep in this guy.

I don't know where this season goes but I am not giving up on it. This team has heart and the additions could help. Just have to wait as see.

As for next year I expect the O's will not blow it up as long as Buck it here. They will retool. The big factor that bothers me is that the fans are not showing up at the park.

Fans are not going to show up at the park unless a World Series is won.

Let's hope the O's performance following this thread mirrors what they did following your "Orioles are a mediocre team" thread in May.

I'm very concerned about the team's lackluster play the last two months, but baseball is an unpredictable game so I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping they get their act together. Personally, I do think the addition of Bourn and Stubbs, and the ability to bolster the bullpen by adding a few bodies now that rosters have expanded, will give Buck more to work with. His September track record with the O's is very good and I'm hoping that holds true to form. I'm not making any predictions, though.

Good take. I think we could still win this thing. With Buck, any magic is possible.

Good take. I think we could still win this thing. With Buck, any magic is possible.

I have given up on trying to predict what will happen in baseball. I just try to enjoy the mystery of it all and let it unfold like a story. The team obviously needs to play a lot better in September than it did in July or August. It is possible that they will, and it is possible that they won't. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it's our turn to get hot.

To say that we're not a playoff caliber team just isn't factual, IMO. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but when you're in a position where if the season ended today you'd be IN the playoffs, then by definition you ARE a playoff caliber team.

I also think we're not out of it by any means. We've had two lackluster months. Doesn't mean they can't put together a good month in September and secure a WC spot, or maybe even pull off the division. Toronto is looking like the favorite, but crazier things have happened. This team has proven to be a team with a lot of peaks and valleys. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them real off 7 or 8 out of 10 to put them right back into the thick of the division race.

To say that we're not a playoff caliber team just isn't factual, IMO. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but when you're in a position where if the season ended today you'd be IN the playoffs, then by definition you ARE a playoff caliber team.

I don't agree with this logic. You are a playoff caliber team if you make the playoffs. You are not necessarily a playoff-caliber team if you happen to be in playoff position at some earlier point in the season. What if the team falls off a cliff from here and ends up .500ish -- were we a playoff caliber team just because we were in playoff position at the end of August? My view is, a team's strengths and weaknesses manifest themselves over 162 games. If we are a playoff-caliber team, we will prove it in the closing weeks of the season.

I don't see the point of this thread. We have a month left we are in the playoff hunt. Enjoy the team and root for them to win.

The trading deadline has passed we don't have any more moves to make just sit back and enjoy the ride. Shoot I enjoyed September back in 2011 when we knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs even though we were going nowhere.

I think we are going to make the playoffs. I don't see any reason not to think so. You don't get a prize for being a pessimist.

I don't agree with this logic. You are a playoff caliber team if you make the playoffs. You are not necessarily a playoff-caliber team if you happen to be in playoff position at some earlier point in the season. What if the team falls off a cliff from here and ends up .500ish -- were we a playoff caliber team just because we were in playoff position at the end of August? My view is, a team's strengths and weaknesses manifest themselves over 162 games. If we are a playoff-caliber team, we will prove it in the closing weeks of the season.

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. I totally get your point if this was, say, May, June, or July. But on 9/2, IMO, if you're in a playoff spot, then you're playoff caliber. I guess I equate playoff caliber with playoff contender.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that we hope they can post a strong finish from here on out. Gotta starting winning series' again. They took 3 out of 4 from the Nats but then lost 2 out of 3 to the NYY and BJ's. That's got to change.

FanGraphs now gives the Orioles a 30.8% chance to make the playoffs. They cite the Orioles worst month of the season going 13-16 and the fact that while on August 12th they were in 1st place they have since slipped into 3rd place and trail 1st place Toronto by 4 games.

As for other teams trying to make the post season here are FanGraphs odds:

Red Sox: 85.9%

Tigers: 50.4%

Astros: 27.1%

Yankees: 5.1%

Mariners: 5.1%

Royals: 4.6%

One thing is certain, there will be a lot of scoreboard watching and channel flipping in September.

Archived