TT: Let's face it, this team is not a playoff caliber team

Tony-OH

Oriole fans are a sorry bunch, giving up on a team that is four games out of first place after leading much of the season and tied for a Wild Card slot. With a month of baseball left to play yet! As some of you like to label what is supposedly your own team: PATHETIC.

Three now. Of the division. It really is sad how quickly the white flags come out. The frequency throughout the year is the real tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't agree with this logic. You are a playoff caliber team if you make the playoffs. You are not necessarily a playoff-caliber team if you happen to be in playoff position at some earlier point in the season. What if the team falls off a cliff from here and ends up .500ish -- were we a playoff caliber team just because we were in playoff position at the end of August? My view is, a team's strengths and weaknesses manifest themselves over 162 games. If we are a playoff-caliber team, we will prove it in the closing weeks of the season.

But to use what-ifs as the factual basis for labeling what we are not seems faulty. As he said, were the playoffs to start today, we would be in. That seems playoff caliber. You can speculate what will happen, but if you're test is whether or not a team makes it, then a present labeling as "not playoff caliber" is premature, no?

Three now. Of the division. It really is sad how quickly the white flags come out. The frequency throughout the year is the real tragedy.

I don't get it. We were bad for so long and out of the playoff hunt so early and now we are finally competing for the division and the wild card in September.

I just looked up our best years during our 14 year losing season run. In 1998 when we finished 4 games under .500 we were 31 games out on September 2nd. In 2004 when we finished 6 games under .500 we were 21.5 games out on Septmber 2nd.

We should be enjoying these games and thanking the players Buck, And DD for doing so well.

We should be enjoying these games and thanking the players Buck, And DD for doing so well.

Amen, brother. There's no point in wringing our hands about everything that could go wrong. It's September and we're in the race - enjoy the ride!

Archived