Fewest Triples in a Season

Three Run Homer

Does team speed or number of triples have much of anything to do with being a good baseball team? I think power and OBP have dramatically higher correlations to runs and wins than speed does.

I would think speed in the outfield is a definite plus. If you have an outfield of slow guys you are going to give up a lot more hits. Not to mention getting a timely steal late in a close game.

Does team speed or number of triples have much of anything to do with being a good baseball team? I think power and OBP have dramatically higher correlations to runs and wins than speed does.

I'd like to see some faster outfielders. Oops, I see cimota beat me to it...

So, last year's team hit 20 triples. 9 of those were hit by players who haven't been on the team this year: 2 each for Paredes, Snider and Clevenger, and 1 each for Lough, De Aza and Parmalee. Another was hit by Pearce, who hasn't been here very long. Returning players hit the other ten, including Jones and Flaherty with 3 each. Neither of those players has hit a triple this year. Ironically, three of our slower players have hit a triple this season: Wieters, Kim and Trumbo. Schoop and Reimold were the other two.

Yes. Into the 1930s it was common for overflow crowds to be put on the field behind ropes, or even just sitting/standing in front of the stands around the infield. I bet more than a few people were seriously injured by foul balls. I believe the listed capacity of Union Park was under 10k, but that game had an attendance of around 30k.

I think many/most sports attendance records are from pre-WWII and pre-strict fire codes. You'd just sell general admission tickets until nobody else could physically fit into the park.

I doubt a lot of people got hurt. The deadball era was named after, well, a dead ball...

Using the same ball the whole game could not have helped.

That may have been part of the reason why Ray Chapman died the way that he did when he was beaned by a Carl Mays pitch (they were also using a newer, more vibrant ball that season that was wound tighter than the ones made and used previously.)

They actually had rules back then that fans had to throw foul balls back into play, so they could continue to use it during the game.

Chapman was beaned in the 5th inning of the game, so there was a good chance that the ball was significantly dirtier and harder to see when it was thrown.

Using the same ball the whole game could not have helped.

They didn't change out balls nearly as often as today, but I've read it was rare or maybe even never happed that they used the same ball for an entire game. But, yea, even after a few innings of getting soaked in spit and tobacco juice and licorice the ball got pretty nasty and hard to see.

Archived