FG: The Case For Manny Machado For MVP

Can_of_corn

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-case-for-manny-machado-for-american-league-mvp/

While there are other players who provide more offensive or defensive value, literally no one in baseball provides that combination of the two: no single player currently stands within 15 runs on offense of Machado and five runs on defense. There is not a player who has provided double-digit defensive numbers with even half of the offensive runs above average as Machado.
You might envision Machado, Davis, Mark Trumbo, and Adam Jones and think the Orioles offense is good. The team wRC+ is a decent 103, but without Machado, it?s an offense that is below average. You might think of Machado and J.J. Hardy and think the Orioles defense must be good. It?s not. They?re 24th in defensive runs above average and would be much closer to the bottom without Machado. Without Machado, the Brewers, Diamondbacks and Twins would have greater position-player WAR than the Orioles.
Manny Machado has been fantastic this season, putting up an unparalleled combination of offense and defense ? and only Mike Trout has clearly provided a level of production superior to Machado?s this season. Among the remaining candidates, no player has been more important to his team than Manny Machado has been to the Orioles. Machado isn?t the proverbial straw breaking the camel?s back pushing the Orioles over the edge into the playoffs. He has been the camel, carrying the load for his team to a potential spot in the playoffs that would be impossible without him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd give it to Trout.

Was still a pretty decent piece on Machado.

The Angels are what 15 games under .500? I think he is less than most valuable, Only difference if he wasn't playing they might move up a pick in the draft order.

I would vote Altuve he is having a heck of a season and the Astros are at least in the hunt for wild card.

Britton could be worthy as he has been very valuable to the Orioles. Remove him the Orioles and they would be out of playoff contention.

The Angels are what 15 games under .500? I think he is less than most valuable, Only difference if he wasn't playing they might move up a pick in the draft order.

I would vote Altuve he is having a heck of a season and the Astros are at least in the hunt for wild card.

Britton could be worthy as he has been very valuable to the Orioles. Remove him the Orioles and they would be out of playoff contention.

I view the MVP is the best player in the league.

I don't think Trout should be penalized for his front office's inability to build a team around him.

I view the MVP is the best player in the league.

I don't think Trout should be penalized for his front office's inability to build a team around him.

Trout is having a great year and his still the best player in the league, but he's not having one of those years where he leaves everyone else in the dust. Altuve leads the league in hits and AVG and is second in the AL in stolen bases. Then again Trout leads the league in OBP, walks and OPS+. Not really a clear favorite this year, which could give the advantage to someone who has never won it.

Trout is having a great year and his still the best player in the league, but he's not having one of those years where he leaves everyone else in the dust. Altuve leads the league in hits and AVG and is second in the AL in stolen bases. Then again Trout leads the league in OBP, walks and OPS+. Not really a clear favorite this year, which could give the advantage to someone who has never won it.

Could, I wasn't making a prediction just stating my current preference.

Archived