Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason?

Frobby

Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason

• Yes, I think that is a good deal for the O's
    • No, I think that is too much risk, but I might do a cheaper deal
    • No, I don't want any long term deals with Tillman
    • No, I prefer to wait until mid-2017 or later to decide

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Tillman is making $6.225 mm this season, and I figure he'll make about $10 mm next season in arbitration. After that, he's a free agent. I figure he'd be worth $16-20 mm/yr on the free agent market, depending on how his 2017 season goes.

So, would you sign him for 5/$75 mm this offseason? (Poll coming.)

I am just not sure. Not sure the owner would go long term deal for Tillman

He has thrown 31+ starts his previous three seasons, not to mention 26 starts this season, thats not a lot of injury down time.

He has a 4.0 WAR and 2.4 WAR under his belt, and a 4.0 WAR so far this season.

Yes, he had a down year, last year, but still managed to pull a .8 WAR.

There is not a lot of quality FA SP available in the market, and I say, you do everything you can to keep him.

Having him as one of the top three arms along side Bundy and Gausman is very appealing.

I guess my post was confusing. I'm in favor of resigning Tillman. His best attribute has been his dependability. He's sort of the anti-Ubaldo. I was just referencing how the O's try to save money by signing multiple mediocre players when they could have signed 1 impact player instead.

I still can't understand why the O's don't make more of an attempt to sign their pre arbitration players to extensions. Tampa, Chicago and other teams get huge savings from signing players to these early extensions. Even though most of Tampa's young starters have not gotten great results, there is still massive value that can be traded for top prospects. I think I remember Tampa was asking for Gallo from Texas for Moore. Gallo was the 10th or 11th prospect in baseball at the time.

Sign Machado.

Sign Schoop.

Count me as not interested in locking up Tillman. He may be the Orioles' #1 (you won't hear me calling him an "ace"), but I would prefer to see the Orioles spend their money on up-the-middle position players than a middle-of the rotation starter with some miles on him who has a had time making batters miss. I was at OPACY for Tillman's 49-pitch first inning versus the Pirates...

I am surprised that, considering all the squawking on this board about the economic recklessness of the signings of Ubaldo and Gallardo, that this post isn't lit up with members saying that signing Tillman would be comparably risky. Of course when the Orioles signed those two, neither Gausman nor Bundy looked like certainties to remain in the Orioles' rotation. Now that those two have shown improvement, the Orioles are less desperate to pay big bucks for past success.

Hell, even sign Britton. 4/$40 -- at least they'll be more likely to get their money's worth.

Tillman is a middle of the rotation starter? I think you are basing your opinion too much on 1 start in Pttsburgh.

Gallardo and Jimnez will be off the books are 2017 and out of the way. So if you just ramp up the structure of the deal not signing Tillman would be a mistake in my opinion.

I don't think anyone would disagree with signing Manny and Schoop but the Orioles need good starting pitching. Tillman has been giving the Orioles that every 5th day most of the season. I'm a little concerned about his shoulder t this point. See how he finishes up and what the medical school say and decide. It will Bly get more expensive later.

Tillman is a middle of the rotation starter? I think you are basing your opinion too much on 1 start in Pttsburgh.

Gallardo and Jimnez will be off the books are 2017 and out of the way. So if you just ramp up the structure of the deal not signing Tillman would be a mistake in my opinion.

I don't think anyone would disagree with signing Manny and Schoop but the Orioles need good starting pitching. Tillman has been giving the Orioles that every 5th day most of the season. I'm a little concerned about his shoulder t this point. See how he finishes up and what the medical school say and decide. It will Bly get more expensive later.

I have seen Tillman pitch other games than the one i mentioned. That game was emblematic of Tillman's inability to miss bats.

He is a middle-of-rotation stater on most winning teams. He's a #3 or #4. #5 on a team with a string rotation.

Archived