Are the Rays the Real Deal?

Jagwar

Pretty even article on this topic in today's St. Pete Times. As the story points out the Rays offense has been lacking and Kaz of course is now getting healthy. But I agree it seems unlikely such a young team is going to still be around in the second half.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article502059.ece

One of the previews before the season started said this was going to be the best team in Rays history, and their worst team of the next few years. I think that is a good way to sum it up.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said it in December, and I'll say it again.

The Rays are for real.

Many of us have been saying it for years...Watch out for TB....Many people kept sleeping on them...They have an incredible wealth of talent and once they get their stadium and have the ability to spend money, they could turn into a dynasty.

Many of us have been saying it for years...

That's the key point here. We've been hearing about this dynasty-in-the-making since when the superstar rookies were Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, and a big third-turned-first baseman named Aubrey Huff.

When they play well for a full season, then I'll believe they're real. As of now, I'll withhold judgement, except to say that they look like a really good team for the long term, and it will be nice to battle them for first place in the upcoming years.

That's the key point here. We've been hearing about this dynasty-in-the-making since when the superstar rookies were Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, and a big third-turned-first baseman named Aubrey Huff.

When they play well for a full season, then I'll believe they're real. As of now, I'll withhold judgement, except to say that they look like a really good team for the long term, and it will be nice to battle them for first place in the upcoming years.

Head buried in the sand though BTerp...

Head buried in the sand though BTerp...

The Devil Rays had just gone 39-34 in the second-half of 2005. Everyone was gushing over Kazmir and Crawford and Jonny Gomes and Jorge Cantu. B.J. Upton was dominating AAA, Delmon Young had just arrived there, and Elijah Dukes, James Shields and Jason Hammal were doing well in AA.

People were saying, "Once they get Rocco Baldelli back and some of the pitching up here, they will be a potential dynasty."

The promptly went 61-101. Gomes and Cantu had poor years. Upton, Shields and Hammal struggled when they came up.

I'm sorry if I'm being too skeptical for your taste.

Besides, I did say they look like they could be good for a long time. I'm just waiting to see how they go for the moment.

BTerp has a valid point. The (D)Rays have been wearing the up-and-coming tag for years now. What has looked great on paper for quite awhile has yet to translate to the ballfield.

FWIW, the Reds have been a perennial fashionable sleeper pick in our division for years too. IIRC they finished second one year. Outside of that it's been same-ol, same-ol.

BTerp has a valid point. The (D)Rays have been wearing the up-and-coming tag for years now. What has looked great on paper for quite awhile has yet to translate to the ballfield.

FWIW, the Reds have been a perennial fashionable sleeper pick in our division for years too. IIRC they finished second one year. Outside of that it's been same-ol, same-ol.

They are the Arizona Cardinals of baseball.

I still don't buy it yet. After 70-80 games if they are still competitive, maybe I'll start to believe. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they do on their upcoming road trip vs. St. Louis and Oakland. Hopefully this high that they're on will end by then as we follow Oakland with a 3 game series in Tampa.

Archived