Buck Hates Kim

Aristotelian

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your premise is flawed if you think Buck is "treating Kim like dirt." Obviously Buck wasn't a fan of him in spring training and buried him the first couple months, but he's made Kim the everyday LF against righties since the end of May. Whatever Buck had against him in spring training, I think it's a distant memory now.

The OP was in the heat of the moment when Buck pulled Kim to bunt with Bourn with only a man on 1st. Seemed personal against Kim because Buck never bunts, but he went and did it later in the game with Hardy.

It does still seem like Buck will use any excuse to take Kim out of the lineup, whether that is playing Pearce against RHPs with reverse splits but playing Reimold against LHPs with reverse splits.

That said, we just don't know what Buck thinks of Kim personally so I won't argue the point further.

Buck does have allegiance to certain veterans. And he really does play them far too long and gives them *a lot* of rope. Which is why I guess he's a player's manager.

But let's not forget that in spring training with Kim:

- Buck benched Kim the remainder of spring training after he went 0-21

- Didn't give him any starts even though there was a week+ left to go

- Told the media that Kim wasn't coming north with the club

- Didn't give him any regular starts until May

- Had Kim disappear as a starter for most of September

- Yanked Kim on his t-shirt night with a runner on 1st (Hardy) and Bourn on the bench even though Kim is our best contact hitter.

I'll say Buck's handling of Kim has been the oddest I've seen...and I think he holds back some sort of grudge. But who knows for sure.

Schoop is 9th-worst among regulars who've qualified for the batting title. If you set the PA threshold to 250 he's 44th-worst. Cleveland's Yan Gomes has a .198 in 262 PAs.

This is what Roch on MASN stated:

"Showalter insists that he’s not tracking the standings and peeking at the scoreboard, but he knows second baseman Jonathan Schoop is in a prolonged slump. Schoop batted .304/.338/.509 in the first half, but he’s hitting .216/.241/.3789 since the break and his on-base percentage is the lowest in the majors."

If he meant to say it was the worst in the major since the All-Star break that is not how I read it.

This is what Roch on MASN stated:

"Showalter insists that he’s not tracking the standings and peeking at the scoreboard, but he knows second baseman Jonathan Schoop is in a prolonged slump. Schoop batted .304/.338/.509 in the first half, but he’s hitting .216/.241/.3789 since the break and his on-base percentage is the lowest in the majors."

If he meant to say it was the worst in the major since the All-Star break that is not how I read it.

Either he meant during the second half, or they were wrong.

“I’m proud of him and happy for him because there’s a lot of pressure on him back there. Every time I do an interview with the Korean media, it reminds me of how many people live and die with every at-bat and everything he does here. I think it’s 8 o’clock in the morning the games come on. They were telling me they basically get up and have breakfast and watch our games.”

Kim will enter the Blue Jays series batting .302/.380/.416. The power hasn’t transferred from Korea to the majors, but he knows how to work a count and get on base. He leads the club in the first two categories.

"He’s been a good contributor, especially with the on-base percentage that all clubs are in need of,” Showalter said. “He’s played an adequate left field, too. Real accurate thrower, sure-handed.”

Kim was shaky in the outfield in spring training and the scouting reports that accompanied him were less than flattering toward his arm and range. But we’ve seen a guy who gets to the balls he’s supposed to and isn’t a liability.

Won’t win a Gold Glove, won’t hurt you.

“I’ll tell you, spring training’s one of the bigger foolers in outfield play,” Showalter said. “I’ve seen Gold Glove outfielders look terrible in spring training. You’ve got high sky, you’ve got sun, you’ve got wind, you’ve got no background on the ball coming off the bat behind home plate. Everything that you get spoiled with in the big leagues. So, I didn’t know.

“He’s played a very adequate left field. He works hard at it, he wants to play good defense and it doesn’t surprise me because if you gauge outfielders’ defensive skills by watching spring training, you’re going to make a lot of mistakes.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/this-that-and-the-other-123.html

Doesn't sound much like hate to me.

I thought his response was adequate. He's adequate in his assessment of Kim.

He was a good contributor to the discussion of the platoon left fielder. You can't judge him on the impression he got in the spring. You've got sun...and wind... And 0 for 28....

Archived