Too soon... to think about 2017 roster?

Bradysburns

1.) We have to do the deal with the devil for Dexter Fowler. Get Jones, Machado and Davis together and see if they feel that the rest of the clubhouse would accept Fowler. He's one of the best leadoff hitters, and is what we need.

2.) Trade Brad Brach to Colorado for Charlie Blackmon. Following Fowler, Blackmon is another high OBP guy with the potential to steal some bases, but also provide pop, at the top of the order. We have to give up Brach here, because the Rockies need someone who relies on their fastball, not breaking pitches, to succeed in Coors. We may need to sweeten the pot for the Rockies (not Sisco) however.

3.) Find a taker for one of our high priced, back of the rotation starters. They don't have much value, and the Orioles will have to eat some money to trade one of them, but perhaps we end up with a serviceable bullpen arm or bench guy.

4.) Sign Nick Hundley to platoon at catcher with Caleb Joseph. I'd love to bring back Wieters, but with the injury to Wilson Ramos, that all but assured Wieters of a big pay day on the FA market, and I am not a fan of paying him a whole lot. Hundley keeps the position warm for Chance Sisco, and is already familiar with most of the clubhouse.

5.) QO to Mark Trumbo, but I would expect him to sign somewhere else and I am not counting on him for next season.

If we do this, here is how I would see the lineup shaking out:

1.) LF Dexter Fowler (.393 OBP, 13 steals last year)

2.) RF Charlie Blackmon (.381 OBP, 17 steals, 29 home runs, hit .313 with 17 HR away from Coors)

3.) 3B Manny Machado

4.) 1B Chris Davis

5.) CF Adam Jones

6.) 2B Jonathan Schoop

7.) C Nick Hundley

8.) JJ Hardy

9.) DH Hyun Soo Kim (Trey Mancini probably gets time against LHP, and would hit higher in the order.)

Bench: Trey Mancini, Caleb Joseph, Ryan Flaherty, Joey Rickard

Rotation: Kevin Gausman, Dylan Bundy, Chris Tillman, two of Wade Miley/Gallardo/Ubaldo

Bullpen: Zach Britton, Darren O'Day, Mychal Givens, Donnie Hart, Vance Worley, Tyler Wilson, TJ McFarland

The additions of Blackmon and Fowler give us two patient bats who can get on base at the top of the order, but also two hitters who can hit left-handers very well. Aside from our struggles to get on base and striking out, we also scuffled against left-handers. Those two, plus Mancini off the bench, help to change that problem.

As far as the starting pitching, I know I will likely be criticized for not doing anything to improve it. Part of the problem is that starting pitching is in short supply this off-season, and nothing would really be an upgrade for us in the FA market. Aside from Sisco, we also don't have the prospects needed to pull off a trade for a front line starter.

However, our pitching down the stretch and in the WC game wasn't what hurt us, it was our offense. With a rotation headlined by Gausman, Tillman and a fully-stretched out Bundy, we will have a very good rotation. Fill it in with the two of Gallardo/Ubaldo/Miley that you don't trade, and it's a respectable rotation. I did trade Brach out of the bullpen, but with Givens, ODay, Britton and then Donnie Hart coming on late, it was a strength we can deal from to improve our lineup.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1.) We have to do the deal with the devil for Dexter Fowler. Get Jones, Machado and Davis together and see if they feel that the rest of the clubhouse would accept Fowler. He's one of the best leadoff hitters, and is what we need.

2.) Trade Brad Brach to Colorado for Charlie Blackmon. Following Fowler, Blackmon is another high OBP guy with the potential to steal some bases, but also provide pop, at the top of the order. We have to give up Brach here, because the Rockies need someone who relies on their fastball, not breaking pitches, to succeed in Coors. We may need to sweeten the pot for the Rockies (not Sisco) however.

3.) Find a taker for one of our high priced, back of the rotation starters. They don't have much value, and the Orioles will have to eat some money to trade one of them, but perhaps we end up with a serviceable bullpen arm or bench guy.

4.) Sign Nick Hundley to platoon at catcher with Caleb Joseph. I'd love to bring back Wieters, but with the injury to Wilson Ramos, that all but assured Wieters of a big pay day on the FA market, and I am not a fan of paying him a whole lot. Hundley keeps the position warm for Chance Sisco, and is already familiar with most of the clubhouse.

5.) QO to Mark Trumbo, but I would expect him to sign somewhere else and I am not counting on him for next season.

I would be shocked if the O's deal with Fowler again.

COL would hang up the phone if you offered a veteran reliever for three years of Blackmon. Would you trade Bundy for Blackmon?

That would be incredible if we could turn Ubaldo or Miley into Blackmon and Fowler but it ain't gonna happen.

If we do this, here is how I would see the lineup shaking out:

1.) LF Dexter Fowler (.393 OBP, 13 steals last year)

2.) RF Charlie Blackmon (.381 OBP, 17 steals, 29 home runs, hit .313 with 17 HR away from Coors)

3.) 3B Manny Machado

4.) 1B Chris Davis

5.) CF Adam Jones

6.) 2B Jonathan Schoop

7.) C Nick Hundley

8.) JJ Hardy

9.) DH Hyun Soo Kim (Trey Mancini probably gets time against LHP, and would hit higher in the order.)

Bench: Trey Mancini, Caleb Joseph, Ryan Flaherty, Joey Rickard

Rotation: Kevin Gausman, Dylan Bundy, Chris Tillman, two of Wade Miley/Gallardo/Ubaldo

Bullpen: Zach Britton, Darren O'Day, Mychal Givens, Donnie Hart, Vance Worley, Tyler Wilson, TJ McFarland

The additions of Blackmon and Fowler give us two patient bats who can get on base at the top of the order, but also two hitters who can hit left-handers very well. Aside from our struggles to get on base and striking out, we also scuffled against left-handers. Those two, plus Mancini off the bench, help to change that problem.

As far as the starting pitching, I know I will likely be criticized for not doing anything to improve it. Part of the problem is that starting pitching is in short supply this off-season, and nothing would really be an upgrade for us in the FA market. Aside from Sisco, we also don't have the prospects needed to pull off a trade for a front line starter.

However, our pitching down the stretch and in the WC game wasn't what hurt us, it was our offense. With a rotation headlined by Gausman, Tillman and a fully-stretched out Bundy, we will have a very good rotation. Fill it in with the two of Gallardo/Ubaldo/Miley that you don't trade, and it's a respectable rotation. I did trade Brach out of the bullpen, but with Givens, ODay, Britton and then Donnie Hart coming on late, it was a strength we can deal from to improve our lineup.

That trade idea is absurd. Blackmon is a great target but Brach doesn't come close to approaching the value the Rockies can get for him. He's also 30 years old and the Rockies need prospects and young talent.

Archived