Boston loses in Three straight

Uli2001

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-11-30/story/jaguars-lease-makes-it-costly-leave-jacksonville-2030

The team could avoid paying a lot of those penalties — which could total more than $100 million — if it lost money one year and was below the NFL’s revenue average the following two years.

The team has not publicly disclosed its revenue, but Jacksonville is one of the smallest and least profitable National Football League markets, so the latter condition is likely already the case.

Proving that, however, would require the team — and likely other teams — to open their books, something the league has been loath to do.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/11/9/9696384/jacksonville-jaguars-are-good-at-finding-ways-to-lose

Size of the city not always important for football teams. I never understood why the NFL didn't look at Birmingham. One team to unite the most football crazy state in the country.

o

I remember the Birmingham Americans when I was a little kid in the summer of 1974.

The W.F.L. gave a team 7 points for a touchdown, and a one-point conversion from the 2 and-a-half yardline (no extra point kicks.)

01_04.jpg

o

In 2005, the Chicago White Sox swept the Boston Red Sox in the first round of the playoffs, en route to their first World championship in 88 years.

In 2016, the Cleveland Indians swept the Boston Red Sox in the first round of the playoffs ......... they have not won a world championship in 68 years.

Will history repeat itself ???

o

And now the Indians ........ just like the 2005 White Sox ...... have won the ALCS in 5 games (4 games to 1.)

And yet they both can support - very easily - 2 NFL teams. Odd, right?

And, even "untethered" (whatever the hell that means), the Baltimore market is 20 places higher than the Jacksonville market.

D.C. and Baltimore DMAs together extend into 5 States which is close to 10m people. Jax TV DMA is smaller by design as it has Orlando, Miami, Tampa, and Tallahassee DMAs. Orlando and Jax together would be the 11 largest tv market in the US if it was actually counted that way because for sports Jaguars are the most watched NFL team in that market.

Untethered means if Baltimore Ravens games weren't shown in traditional Redskins market..

You know, I'm looking at Boston for next season and I don't think they're going to be big spenders, for several reasons.

1) They have $148.8 mil sunk into just seven players (Kimbrel, Pedroia, Porcello, Price, Ramirez, Sandoval-lulz, and Young)

2) Arbitration costs are going to skyrocket, starting next year with Jackie Bradley, Xander Boegarts and Brock Holt.

3) They don't really need to sign more veterans to hog plate appearances from their insanely good young corp and prospects.

4) The SP market stinks. I mean really stinks.

Boston will probably not pick up any of their team options for Clay Buchholz (13.5), David Ortiz (10.0) and Ryan Hanigan (3.75) but it probably doesn't matter. They are a complete team right now and have to be favorites to repeat as AL East champs. What this would mean is a major market won't be bidding much in the off season. If New York also holds tight for one more year (unleashing the Kraken in 2018), I'm not sure who the big spenders are going to be this time.

Archived