Can you fill out the O's roster for less than $10M?

Aglets

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joseph as your starter? Michael Bourn making 5M and an everyday starter? The same Michael Bourn who has been replacement level the last 3 years and is going to be 34?

Joseph did fine in 2015 and was hurt this year. I think he gets some slack there, but in any case we have some minor league catchers with promise and not a lot of money. Why not use them instead of bringing in someone that may be .200? Joseph is better than hundley imo if by nothing else than age/potential.

Bourn maybe isn't an everyday starter but i think he'd stick for defense more than Kim would play everyday. Bring in a Rickard or Reimold type for lefties and defensive backup for Kim. He plays CF and can give Jones a needed break. How much do you think he'd made? Pierce got about that after his crappy year with us.

Joseph did fine in 2015 and was hurt this year. I think he gets some slack there, but in any case we have some minor league catchers with promise and not a lot of money. Why not use them instead of bringing in someone that may be .200? Joseph is better than hundley imo if by nothing else than age/potential.

Bourn maybe isn't an everyday starter but i think he'd stick for defense more than Kim would play everyday. Bring in a Rickard or Reimold type for lefties and defensive backup for Kim. He plays CF and can give Jones a needed break. How much do you think he'd made? Pierce got about that after his crappy year with us.

Pearce was also 1 year removed from an elite season. His disastrous 2015 was still as productive as the season Bourn just finished in 2/3 the playing time. Michael Bourn has been bad for a while now. I wouldn't want him back at anything significantly more than league minimum.

He's replacement level, a 25th roster spot type.

Did anyone predict a significant payroll increase last offseason? I remember the discussions revolving around $125 million max until toward the end.

I was thinking that the payroll might go down last year. I never expected Wieters back either.

I was thinking that the payroll might go down last year. I never expected Wieters back either.

My personal crackpot theory is that Wieters' unexpected (by the Orioles as well) acceptance of the QO was the first domino in a short line that ended with a payroll at least $25 million more than was originally projected. Had he signed elsewhere the 2016 team may have looked much different although still with CD at 1B.

My personal crackpot theory is that Wieters' unexpected (by the Orioles as well) acceptance of the QO was the first domino in a short line that ended with a payroll at least $25 million more than was originally projected. Had he signed elsewhere the 2016 team may have looked much different although still with CD at 1B.

I laughed at this - and then agreed completely. No way they expected Wieters to accept the QO. I wonder if they test the waters again. It would be hilarious if they did, and he accepted again. So he winds up with a 10-year contract, essentially, at the QO each year.

Your analysis indicates that Wieters isn't the 1.5-2 win player suggested by common flavors of WAR, but was in fact among the best players in Major League Baseball?

Subtract 2 wins for Wieters absence.

Joseph was a -1 win in 49 games. You double his games played and that is another lost win.

Pena was also below replacement. Figure him for at least -1 WAR with the increased playing time.

That gets you down to 85 wins.

Now if you look at the O's pythag they were only an 84 win team from a run differential perspective.

I can see where taking an 84 pythag team and replacing Wieters' production with a pair of below replacement players could lead to an 81 win season.

Subtract 2 wins for Wieters absence.

Joseph was a -1 win in 49 games. You double his games played and that is another lost win.

Pena was also below replacement. Figure him for at least -1 WAR with the increased playing time.

That gets you down to 85 wins.

Now if you look at the O's pythag they were only an 84 win team from a run differential perspective.

I can see where taking an 84 pythag team and replacing Wieters' production with a pair of below replacement players could lead to an 81 win season.

Yes, if you're measuring from a baseline of three wins below replacement and halfway suggesting that Wieters' ability as a good luck charm directly led to +3 in Pythag, then, sure, Wieters is an 8-win player.

Yes, if you're measuring from a baseline of three wins below replacement and halfway suggesting that Wieters' ability as a good luck charm directly led to +3 in Pythag, then, sure, Wieters is an 8-win player.

What was Wieters WPA this season? He did figure disproportionately in the teams victories given his overall contributions. I was merely trying to reflect that.

Archived