Looking at last year's draft

This is how last year's draft went (top 5):

1). David Price, Tampa Bay

2). Michael Moustakas, KC

3). Josh Vitters, CHI Cubs

4). Daniel Moskos, Pitt

5). Matt Wieters, Bal

I wasn't following the draft, so I don't know how most mock drafts had the players slotted, so for those of you who were keeping tabs on the mocks, is that were Wieters was slotted to be taken?

Reason why I ask is cause if he was slotted to be taken higher, but fell to 5th, maybe the same can happen this year--maybe Alvarez or Beckham will slide to us at 4.

On a side note, looking over the horizon, if both Rowell and Alvarez come knocking on Baltimore's door, I think Alvarez's athleticism will allow a move to LF.

4). Daniel Moskos, Pitt

5). Matt Wieters, Bal

I wasn't following the draft, so I don't know how most mock drafts had the players slotted, so for those of you who were keeping tabs on the mocks, is that were Wieters was slotted to be taken?

Reason why I ask is cause if he was slotted to be taken higher, but fell to 5th, maybe the same can happen this year--maybe Alvarez or Beckham will slide to us at 4.

On a side note, looking over the horizon, if both Rowell and Alvarez come knocking on Baltimore's door, I think Alvarez's athleticism will allow a move to LF.

Alvarez's arm would make him more valuable in RF than LF. He should not have much trouble sticking at 3b, and should easily handle LF/1b if asked.

If he and Rowell went head to head, wouldn't Rowell come out as the better defensive 3B? My impression is Rowell is looking solid at the hot corner. I haven't looked into it, but I don't get the impression that Alvarez has good defensive skills.

Either way, if they both make it to Baltimore, I'm fine with whoever makes it at 3B. The other can go to LF. I doubt either of them pushes Markakis out of Right.

But the thrust of this thread isn't about where Alvarez is going to play (hypothetically). I'm trying to gauge where mocks had Wieters going last draft, and whether we can hope to see Alvarez or Beckham slide down a couple of slots to 4?

4). Daniel Moskos, Pitt

5). Matt Wieters, Bal

No Wieters was considered the best bat in the whole draft but most draft experts expected him to drop due to contract demands since he is a Boras client.

He was ranked as the number 2 prospect behind David Price.

If he and Rowell went head to head, wouldn't Rowell come out as the better defensive 3B? My impression is Rowell is looking solid at the hot corner. I haven't looked into it, but I don't get the impression that Alvarez has good defensive skills.

Either way, if they both make it to Baltimore, I'm fine with whoever makes it at 3B. The other can go to LF. I doubt either of them pushes Markakis out of Right.

But the thrust of this thread isn't about where Alvarez is going to play (hypothetically). I'm trying to gauge where mocks had Wieters going last draft, and whether we can hope to see Alvarez or Beckham slide down a couple of slots to 4?

Alvarez is fine defensively and should handle the four corners fine (3b/1b/LF/RF). Alvarez or Beckham could definitely slide. The is no clear #1, PIT is a mystery this year (though I think they lean towards Matusz right now) and both Alvarez and Beckham will be expensive. It would help BALs cause if Crow could maintain his dominance over a season. I think it's less likely KAN grabs him unless he has a strong post-season.

No Wieters was considered the best bat in the whole draft but most draft experts expected him to drop due to contract demands since he is a Boras client.

Alright!! I hope high contract demands drop Alvarez or Beckham too. And with our 2nd round pick, I hope we can find another player who drops, like how we got Arrieta in the 3rd last year.

Alright!! I hope high contract demands drop Alvarez or Beckham too. And with our 2nd round pick, I hope we can find another player who drops, like how we got Arrieta in the 3rd last year.

We got Arrieta in the 5th.

Wieters in the 1st, no supplemental, 2nd, or 3rd, we drafted Bascom in the 4th, and Arrieta in the 5th.

Maybe its a good thing Alvarez is having a down year this season. Much like Arrieta last year who fell because he didn't pitch as well as he had done in previous seasons, hopefully Alvarez will fall one or two slots because of his early injury.

He was ranked as the number 2 prospect behind David Price.

Actually, I think LaPorta was considered the best bat, but Wieters right behind him, and is considered a better overall prospect which is why there wasn't much debate between the 2.

Archived