2016-17 Qualifying Offer List

25 Nuggets

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the second straight year a Boras client takes the QO. It's time for the notion that Boras clients would never do such a thing be buried once and for all.

Keep in mind, the QO of 17.2 or 17.5 million, whichever it really is, is pretty high incentive to keep from getting screwed by not accepting a QO.

Keep in mind, the QO of 17.2 or 17.5 million, whichever it really is, is pretty high incentive to keep from getting screwed by not accepting a QO.

There were a few others that I thought would accept. There is a pretty decent chance that this form of QO disappears after this off season. I certainly think Turner and Jansen would have been better served accepting and then possibly entering free agency next year without a pick attached.

There were a few others that I thought would accept. There is a pretty decent chance that this form of QO disappears after this off season. I certainly think Turner and Jansen would have been better served accepting and then possibly entering free agency next year without a pick attached.

I agree the players association will make this a priority topic of discussion with the owners in their new agreement.

I'd say, despite some of the talking heads opinions, that the new system is working really well. Teams got burned last year so fewer offers were put out, teams still got burned so folks will probably be even more selective next year. Only the high quality free agents will require draft pick compensation. Compare that to back in the day when the O's burned a pick for Chad Bradford.

I'd say, despite some of the talking heads opinions, that the new system is working really well. Teams got burned last year so fewer offers were put out, teams still got burned so folks will probably be even more selective next year. Only the high quality free agents will require draft pick compensation. Compare that to back in the day when the O's burned a pick for Chad Bradford.

The players do not feel the system is working as they had expected.

Since the players agreement is due for renegotiating, this will be a topic they want to have a dialogue with the owners on.

Not sure how much better off they were expecting to be.

I cant disagree with you.

But, they are unhappy with the situation.

As with most situations, what works for 80% of the folks, irritate the 20% it hurts.

Writer at Fansgraph posted this back last winter, on how they would fix the situation:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-very-simple-fix-for-the-qualifying-offer/

I suggested removing the seven-day acceptance window a few years ago, and Nathaniel Grow pointed out that the system could work better if it moved to a multi-year offer, instead of a one-year tender that players are loathe to accept before testing the market. There’s also a pretty rational argument that the system should just go away entirely.

Really surprised that Bautista didn't accept

I think he is going to be disappointed in what the market for an old OF'er coming off his worst year is going to be

My candidate for sitting out till June

Bautista still gets 3/50 from someone IMO.

Archived