Platoon Options for RF

ChuckS

Dan Duquette indicated it would be left field rather than right that might invite a platoon.

I don't see anyone on the market who fits that description and will come cheap.

You can sign a guy like Carlos Gomez (who *won't come cheap IMO) to be your everyday right fielder and he could be a complete bust given his recent performance.

A trade maybe. On the free agent market I think a platoon is the best way to go for RF. In LF I am fine with giving Kim a chance to play there everyday or doing a Kim/Rickard platoon which seemed to work out very well last year. I think we need to add two OFers regardless and the LH one needs to be able to hit and play defense.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disagree. Markakis is a .700ish OPS bat and Reddick is more likely around .800, especially if he is sitting against lefties as he should. Reddick is also the superior defender at this point.

Markakis put up .746 and .749 the last two years, while Reddick put up .749 and .781. You are overstating Reddick and understating Markakis. I agree Reddick is better but he is not twice as good.

Markakis put up .746 and .749 the last two years, while Reddick put up .749 and .781. You are overstating Reddick and understating Markakis. I agree Reddick is better but he is not twice as good.

Reddick put up a WAR of 3.5 in 2015, while Nick was 1.9, which was pretty darn close to twice and good.

I included their career OPS's on their strong side:

Rasmus (.775)/R. Davis (.780)

Rasmus (.775)/Pearce (.852)

Rasmus (.775)/D. Jennings (.778)

Jay (.746)/(Davis, Pearce, or Jennings)

Duquette has said he wants to improve the defense and athleticism and unfortunately there are not a lot of great options out there unless we are going to pay for a Cespedes or Fowler. Fowler gets 5/75 IMO given the Reddick deal and Cespedes is going to get a massive contract. The defense from the RH side of the platoon is not as important since they will be limited to maybe 40 games or so in the OF, which is why I included Pearce as a possibility.

I really like Matt Joyce, but don't want to see him in the OF for 120 games. Still think he's a good sign as a guy who might DH for us for 60 games and play 30 or so in the OF.

I'm not sure we can count on Pearce's arm for even 40 games in RF.

I don't see anyone on the market who fits that description and will come cheap.

You can sign a guy like Carlos Gomez (who *won't come cheap IMO) to be your everyday right fielder and he could be a complete bust given his recent performance.

A trade maybe. On the free agent market I think a platoon is the best way to go for RF. In LF I am fine with giving Kim a chance to play there everyday or doing a Kim/Rickard platoon which seemed to work out very well last year. I think we need to add two OFers regardless and the LF one needs to be able to hit and play defense.

I did not get the impression that he was going to be active with free agents.

I did not get the impression that he was going to be active with free agents.

I think we should know by now to take anything a GM says publicly with a grain of salt.

If we are not going to be active in the FA market and are not going to consider platoon options, I would like to know who we could possibly get on the trade market to be the everyday right fielder given the state of our minor league system and our likely disinterest in trading useful parts from our big league club.

Reddick put up a WAR of 3.5 in 2015, while Nick was 1.9, which was pretty darn close to twice and good.

Only 2.6 WAR last year. Are you going to pay Reddick for a career year two years ago? And again Reddick's value is distorted because he is a platoon player, which makes him a bad fit since we already have Kim.

Reddick is the guy they needed and the Orioles whiffed. At this point you sign 2 cheap players to platoon out there. Problem is you're also looking at a platoon in LF with Kim, which would most likely be Rickard. Mancini will be the full time DH. It is going to be a year where the pitching needs to step up and hope they can win 88 games.

The other hope is that they are serious about bringing Trumbo back and realize he brings nothing to the table except long balls and use that money on a quality RF option who gets on base and plays good D and let Mancini hit 25 bombs from the DH spot.

Only 2.6 WAR last year. Are you going to pay Reddick for a career year two years ago? And again Reddick's value is distorted because he is a platoon player, which makes him a bad fit since we already have Kim.

Maybe he bounces back when he comes back to the AL?

He was a very solid 3.5 for more than 1 year.

I dont see the Orioles getting him, either, nor Cakes, either.

So we'd have 2 LFers? Gotcha. Would be great in the lineup no doubt

I'm not a big fan of Gardner because of his weak arm, but if you had him, you'd have Kim/Mancini for DH. Then if you got Jay, you'd have a Rickard/Jay platoon in right.

It wouldn't be the worst thing. I just don't think we are in a good position to make trades to improve the 2017 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn't his career year. He's had multiple 3.5 wins seasons and even a 5 win season. He's easily a better player than Markakis at this point and has been for about 6 years.

Archived