Orioles interested in Hundley

Going Underground

Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: Jason Castro has multiple three-year offers. Team that offers fourth year could gain edge. Nick Hundley Plan B for several clubs.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hundley, in view of one source, is <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>’ Plan A. Team’s interest in him first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016">@danconnolly2016</a>.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">November 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hundley, in view of one source, is <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>’ Plan A. Team’s interest in him first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016">@danconnolly2016</a>.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">November 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to MLBTR Hundley is a number of teams plan B behind Castro. IMO the Orioles won't touch Hundley on a three year deal and he is likely to get one once Castro is gone.

Yeah this is just not a good look. If Hundley is Orioles' plan A, and Castro's teams have Hundley as their plan B, then the Orioles need to land Hundley now or they will lose him. But they will wait until Castro signs and one of the other teams will outbid them for Hundley.

Personally, I would sign Castro anyway.

Yeah this is just not a good look. If Hundley is Orioles' plan A, and Castro's teams have Hundley as their plan B, then the Orioles need to land Hundley now or they will lose him. But they will wait until Castro signs and one of the other teams will outbid them for Hundley.

Personally, I would sign Castro anyway.

Probably more like Hundley's agent will wait. It takes two to tango, and just because it would benefit the Orioles to act fast doesn't mean that they can make the other side sign the deal. Hundley would be smart to wait, IMO.

Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: Jason Castro has multiple three-year offers. Team that offers fourth year could gain edge. Nick Hundley Plan B for several clubs.

Why would anyone in their right mind offer a guy who's 29 and whose last three years are .215/.296/.369 a three or four-year deal? Is Castro the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench behind the plate? If I were Wieters I'd be asking for Pujols money if a .660 OPS gets you a four-year deal.

Why would anyone in their right mind offer a guy who's 29 and whose last three years are .215/.296/.369 a three or four-year deal? Is Castro the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench behind the plate? If I were Wieters I'd be asking for Pujols money if a .660 OPS gets you a four-year deal.

Which is why there is only one real catcher FA in this market.

Which is why there is only one real catcher FA in this market.

Across the league, the average catcher OPS this season was .703, worst in baseball among position players. For reference, second worst was shortstop (.725).

Castro OPSed .684 last year in a pitcher's park. Pretty much average offense for a catcher. Matt Wieters OPSed .711 last year in a hitter's park, again average offense for a catcher.

There is a reason why teams are going after Castro. Look across baseball and you'll see that catchers not named Gary Sanchez look very underwhelming. Top hitting AL catchers include Brian McCann, Russell Martin and Stephen Vogt, none of which set the world on fire this season.

Across the league, the average catcher OPS this season was .703, worst in baseball among position players. For reference, second worst was shortstop (.725).

Castro OPSed .684 last year in a pitcher's park. Pretty much average offense for a catcher. Matt Wieters OPSed .711 last year in a hitter's park, again average offense for a catcher.

There is a reason why teams are going after Castro. Look across baseball and you'll see that catchers not named Gary Sanchez look very underwhelming. Top hitting AL catchers include Brian McCann, Russell Martin and Stephen Vogt, none of which set the world on fire this season.

Castro the year before was also .651 and .648.

MLBTR has 5 clubs going after Castro, and I suspect the Orioles will be outbidded by the other 4, if they are one of the 5.

So there are 2 real FA catchers in this market, and several locations needing catchers.

Did you like the Pujols deal? Because I consider it an abject failure. And please don't anyone try to cite his numbers last year as a justification.

Now, DiPoto wasn't the one who pulled the trigger, but I think it can be said that FO decisions regarding FA would often be tagged as "not in their right mind". The same can be said for the Orioles FO with the Davis deal.

In any case, Wieters isn't worth either of those contracts by a long shot. I know it's not the point you were making, but he could have been considered one of the best options in what was already considered a thin catching market.

Problem is, teams are filling their vacancies. Similarly to last year, his market is shrinking. Could be beneficial to the Orioles if Hundley and Castro sign contracts. Wieters likes it in Baltimore and I don't think a strategy of "wait for the best offer to roll in" is the best move.

Castro's agent seems to be much more aggressive for his client. Maybe they do look at framing?

Did you like the Pujols deal? Because I consider it an abject failure. And please don't anyone try to cite his numbers last year as a justification.

Now, DiPoto wasn't the one who pulled the trigger, but I think it can be said that FO decisions regarding FA would often be tagged as "not in their right mind". The same can be said for the Orioles FO with the Davis deal.

In any case, Wieters isn't worth either of those contracts by a long shot. I know it's not the point you were making, but he could have been considered one of the best options in what was already considered a thin catching market.

Problem is, teams are filling their vacancies. Similarly to last year, his market is shrinking. Could be beneficial to the Orioles if Hundley and Castro sign contracts. Wieters likes it in Baltimore and I don't think a strategy of "wait for the best offer to roll in" is the best move.

Castro's agent seems to be much more aggressive for his client. Maybe they do look at framing?

The Pujols deal was rather absurd, which is why I used it as a ridiculous example. Weiters should be looking for a rather large deal, on the order of at least 4/50, if Castro is getting something in that range.

I assume that Weiters is asking for a significant deal, and that Hundley would come at a much lower point. Hundley at much more than 2/15 seems a big stretch. My simple contract estimator has Hundley at about 2/8.

The Pujols deal was rather absurd, which is why I used it as a ridiculous example. Weiters should be looking for a rather large deal, on the order of at least 4/50, if Castro is getting something in that range.

I assume that Weiters is asking for a significant deal, and that Hundley would come at a much lower point. Hundley at much more than 2/15 seems a big stretch. My simple contract estimator has Hundley at about 2/8.

Castro got three years at $24 5 million.

Archived