Angel Pagan is not the answer for the O's

wildcard

16 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I think that's about all we can hope Mancini becomes. Tony's writeup suggests it too.

He's not a great prospect in a weak system. He doesn't have much trade value.

Hey, hey, hey.   Let's not get down on Mancini.   You can talk about his defensive all you want but he has shown the ability to hit.

2015 at AA : 938 OPS in 533 at bats

2016 at AA : 1.112 OPS in 63 at bats

2016 at AAA away for Harbor Park:  828 OPS in 243 at bats including a 375 OBP.

So he doesn't hit very well at Harbor Park.  Who does?  He should do well in a smaller Camden Yards.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hey, hey, hey.   Let's not get down on Mancini.   You can talk about his defensive all you want but he has shown the ability to hit.

2015 at AA : 938 OPS in 533 at bats

2016 at AA : 1.112 OPS in 63 at bats

2016 at AAA away for Harbor Park:  828 OPS in 243 at bats including a 375 OBP.

So he doesn't hit very well at Harbor Park.  Who does?  He should do well in a smaller Camden Yards.

He's also not young for a prospect and scouts don't like him that much. If you're hoping he's even a 800+ OPS player full time in the big leagues, I think it is likely you will be disappointed.

There's a reason he's number 11 on Tony's list in a very weak Oriole system.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

He's also not young for a prospect and scouts don't like him that much. If you're hoping he's even a 800+ OPS player full time in the big league, I think it is likely you will be disappointed.

Well, the  reason I see for Tony making Mancini #11 is the first 7 have ceilings of All-Star players and the next three are rated high than a DH which is what Tony sees Mancini as being.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wouldn't Mancini be a 1B for a team with an opening?

I have to rely on Tony for that answer. He says:

"Although he’s worked hard to cut down on mistakes in the field, Mancini will likely never be an asset defensively due to below average athletic ability when compared to his major league peers at first."

Just now, Number5 said:

People said that Chris Davis has below average athletic ability as compared to other first basemen?  I must have missed that.

People here used to say that he was a bad first baseman, and statistically he is barely negative in that category over his career. Mancini could be a good first baseman, I think. 

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

People here used to say that he was a bad first baseman, and statistically he is barely negative in that category over his career. Mancini could be a good first baseman, I think. 

He was better than Reynolds when he first arrived, and gotten better over the years.

On 11/29/2016 at 11:26 AM, ArtVanDelay said:

Coghlan played 18 games at third last year. 

What about Josh Harrison? On the trading block. Can play outfield and most infield positions. Has some speed. Trade him for one of Miley,Ubaldo or Gallardo.. Not sure the Pirates would want any of them but frees up salary for Harrison. He is not that old and can play third or SS next year when Hardy is gone.

12 minutes ago, grimed1 said:

What about Josh Harrison? On the trading block. Can play outfield and most infield positions. Has some speed. Trade him for one of Miley,Ubaldo or Gallardo.. Not sure the Pirates would want any of them but frees up salary for Harrison. He is not that old and can play third or SS next year when Hardy is gone.

I don't think Pittsburgh would take on $13M for Ubaldo or Gallardo just to get rid of Harrison's $17M. More likely they would want Mancini and pitching prospect or something to that effect.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Well, the  reason I see for Tony making Mancini #11 is the first 7 have ceilings of All-Star players and the next three are rated high than a DH which is what Tony sees Mancini as being.

He sees him as being a platoon DH, part time player as most likely scenario. A ceiling of a second rate starting first baseman. Also, despite the ceilings of the guys in front of him, they aren't well thought of. Tony himself said the system was weak while these rankings have been going up. He pretty obviously doesn't think much of Mancini.

8 hours ago, Babypowder said:

He's also not young for a prospect and scouts don't like him that much. If you're hoping he's even a 800+ OPS player full time in the big leagues, I think it is likely you will be disappointed.

I think Mancini could eventually put up an .800 OPS in the bigs.  Problem is he is cant play the OF.  But I wouldnt be opposed to letting him DH or at least a platoon DH. 

On 11/29/2016 at 9:52 AM, big_sparxx said:

Not that I know the answer to this, but what's happening with Dariel Alvarez? Why is he not in contention after all the hype?

I suspect that if Dariel Alvarez ever sees the big leagues again, it will be as a relief pitcher.

Archived