Should the Orioles entertain the idea of Bautista?

Tony-OH

Here's a "crazy" idea, would it make sense for the Orioles to go after Jose Bautista if his market fails to develop ? The Orioles have a history of big power hitters rejuvenating their careers (Cruz/Trumbo) on one year deals and after a down year last year, partly caused by injuries and partly his age, would he be willing to come here and try to have a big year in order to get one more big contract?

I know he turned down the Blue Jays' qualify offer and I'm not sure Duquette would want to part with a draft pick compensation for one year, but Bautista could be one of those guys that really help the Orioles offense because he does something few of the Orioles batters do, he gets on base and works pitchers.

I'd honestly rather give Trumbo's money (Orioles reportedly are offering Trumbo a substantial contract) to Bautista because he is what the lineup needs. Even in a down year last year he had .366 OBP and saw 4.25 pitches per PA. He's probably still a decent rightfielder in OPACY where his lack of wheels won't be as exposed but he could also be moved to DH where his defense wouldn't offset his offense. 

I'd try to get Bautista at 3yrs for $50 million and put him in right field if we can't get a better defensive alternative. Here's a great break down of the pros and cons of Bautista. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jose-bautista

As for his attitude, he's the kind of guy you hate when he's playing against you, but love when he's on your team. The guy plays with passion and I think he would end up being a great clubhouse guy despite his past issues with O'day and Jones. 

My biggest issue is giving up the pick for him. Now saying all of that, I'd much rather go after Dexter Fowler and give him this money, but I think he's going to get a bigger paycheck.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be fine on a short deal, but I think at the end of the day we will wait for the last big hitter standing in Feb or March. Between Trumbo, Bautista, and Edwin, we might one much cheaper than we thought. Of course, then what do you do with Mancini? This is why Fowler is the perfect fit.

5 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I'd be fine on a short deal, but I think at the end of the day we will wait for the last big hitter standing in Feb or March. Between Trumbo, Bautista, and Edwin, we might one much cheaper than we thought. Of course, then what do you do with Mancini? This is why Fowler is the perfect fit.

Fowler is definitely the best fit for this team. The issue being is whether he can make the conversion to the AL and compensation.

Bautista's numbers fell off a cliff last year and he's 36. If I were going to give Trumbo's money to anybody (including Trumbo), I'd give it to Encarnacion, who is 33, coming off a huge year and is remarkably consistent. As other clubs have gone with cheaper options, Encarnacion's market is thinning a bit and he may take that a 4/$80m he turned down from the Jays.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Fowler is definitely the best fit for this team. The issue being is whether he can make the conversion to the AL and compensation.

How does Bautista fit into this clubhouse?

You know, Buck is very astute about how a negative ball player can affect the entire clubhouse.

Im not saying Bautista is or isn't.

I know what I perceive, is that he isn't. But, I have nothing factual to base that on.

Everyone should be on the table at this point.  We're in win now mode.  We're down a 40+ homer guy from last year's team.  A Catcher and a DH.  

The only way to keep winning is to spend our way out of problems.  Spend the next two years.  Maybe "lose" money(like I really believe MLB teams lose money), knowing that you are going to be rebuilding in 2018 with a rock bottom payroll.  

Archived