Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I like Bautista on a one year deal

too bad DD muddied the waters with his ridiculous our fans don't like you comment

I like Bautista for one year way more than Trumbo for 4

I doubt it muddied anything. Bautista's reps reached out to Texas, even with the Odor incident. I doubt Buck would ok Bautista.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was thinking more in terms of I wouldn't give up the pick for Bautista even if he was making the league minimum.

Right. I went there too. I just wanted to show the foolishness of anyone buying Joey anywhere near the QO money with a pick attached. Pure stupidity. You would have to have a multi year deal to amortize that pick over a cost savings. Essentially, the player must pay back the 12 to 13 million.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Could Bautista sign a minor league deal with a ton of incentives to avoid the QO? Is that possible?

No. He can wait until after the draft to sign a contract. Like Stephen Drew did. He's about that level of player now in my eyes anyway.  He can go to Japan or Korea. He's be a big deal there. 150 million dollars. Joey. You are delusional. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

No. He can wait until after the draft to sign a contract. Like Stephen Drew did. He's about that level of player now in my eyes anyway.  He can go to Japan or Korea. He's be a big deal there. 150 million dollars. Joey. You are delusional. 

$150 million? FOR HIM??? 

1 minute ago, Bucked said:

Bautista and Stephen Drew aren't on the same level and it's not even close. Even in a down year riddled with injuries he put up a 122 wRC+. He's still projected to put up nearly 3 WAR next season. Someone will give him a 1 year deal worth around $20M and he'll head into free agency again next year with no comp pick attached.

I knew I'd shake the northern woodwork. 

4 minutes ago, Bucked said:

Bautista and Stephen Drew aren't on the same level and it's not even close. Even in a down year riddled with injuries he put up a 122 wRC+. He's still projected to put up nearly 3 WAR next season. Someone will give him a 1 year deal worth around $20M and he'll head into free agency again next year with no comp pick attached.

If you followed above, you'e see that giving him that is like committing over 30 million dollars to a declining veteran what is injury riddled and no longer can throw. But, that's all good. Because next year he'll be competing with Lucas Duda for a contract. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

If you followed above, you'e see that giving him that is like committing over 30 million dollars to a declining veteran what is injury riddled and no longer can throw. But, that's all good. Because next year he'll be competing with Lucas Duda for a contract. 

Would be less if it were a team with a protected first round pick or who had already fortified their first.

I still wouldn't do it, not for 20M.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Would be less if it were a team with a protected first round pick or who had already fortified their first.

I still wouldn't do it, not for 20M.

You are right. A second rounder is worth less than 8 million I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Bucked said:

With the value of the pick estimated at $12.5 million, as discussed above, what makes you think any team would do that?  Now, the Blue Jays wouldn't lose a pick, but they would lose the one that they stand to gain if someone else signs him, so I doubt that they are really considering doing that.  I suppose it is remotely possible that one of the 10 teams that would lose their 2nd pick, rather than their first, might consider it, but those teams really aren't looking to add aging, 1-year contract guys, are they?  Maybe a team that has already signed a QO-FA and lost their first pick might consider it, since it would cost them their current top pick, which is probably a 2nd rounder.  No team in the Orioles' position would make such a boneheaded move, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

With the value of the pick estimated at $12.5 million, as discussed above, what makes you think any team would do that?  Now, the Blue Jays wouldn't lose a pick, but they would lose the one that they stand to gain if someone else signs him, so I doubt that they are really considering doing that.  I suppose it is remotely possible that one of the 10 teams that would lose their 2nd pick, rather than their first, might consider it, but those teams really aren't looking to add aging, 1-year contract guys, are they?  Maybe a team that has already signed a QO-FA and lost their first pick might consider it, since it would cost them their current top pick, which is probably a 2nd rounder.  No team in the Orioles' position would make such a boneheaded move, IMO.

And this is why the players want to get rid of the qualifying offer.

If you are not a top tier guy it really impedes your earnings.

Just now, Bucked said:

Yes, I read what was posted above. The pick isn't in the middle of the first round though, it's a comp pic that comes at the end of the first round. Based on what I've read that pick isn't going to be valued at anymore than $10M. Lets not forget that some teams also have protected picks.

The pick most teams would relinquish is in the middle of the first. Not the one Toronto would forfeit were they to resign him. As I pray they do. But Brian Roberts says Ed is not willing to pay him anywhere close to the 17 now. 

1 minute ago, Bucked said:

Yes, I read what was posted above. The pick isn't in the middle of the first round though, it's a comp pic that comes at the end of the first round. Based on what I've read that pick isn't going to be valued at anymore than $10M. Lets not forget that some teams also have protected picks.

I was speaking from the Orioles' prospective.  They would lose their first round pick.  We, of course, don't know exactly where that pick will fall.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And this is why the players want to get rid of the qualifying offer.

If you are not a top tier guy it really impedes your earnings.

If you are washed up and trying for a 150 million dollar deal at age 36 after you tore your labrum trying to back-pick Delmon, you are just a loser. All around. 

Archived