Dan's options to fill out the team

wildcard

46 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

To be fair with the starting staff you should address the following difference from 2016 to the upcoming 2017 season.

First off would be a full year of an un-teathered Dylan Bundy.

Second would be the added experience that Kevin Gausman has gotten.

Third is the walk year for Tillman, Gallardo and Jimenez which usually gets the most from them.

Fourth is the Miley change at the end of the year from talking with Scott McGregor

Fifth is a healthy beginning for Gallardo

If you do not think any of these make a difference in the overall starting staff then you need not continue a conversation on the topic unless you can counter with a different scenario for all SIX.

I completely agree with this. I'm actually kind of optimistic about the rotation for the first time in awhile. It may not work out, of course, but I see a lot of potential there.

I'd like to see the Orioles sign Ben Revere to lead off and play left field. I'm pretty sure last season was an aberration because of his injury. He'd be just the kind of guy the Orioles need at the top of the order. They could let Kim serve as the primary DH against right-handers, keeping his OBP skills in the lineup without sacrificing defense. And I wouldn't mind having Bourn back to play in right field. He did a great job after coming over and while he's certainly on the downside of his career I think he can still be more productive than some of the other options.

I would be OK with bringing back Trumbo strictly as a DH, but I fear that he may never have another season resembling the one he had in 2016. And it's not like the Orioles don't have plenty of home run hitters without him. I'd rather see a lineup with a few more guys getting on base and a few less guys striking out when they're on there.

Castillo would be fine with me. Probably the best option out there for a short term.

Here are some names that I haven't seen brought up much this offseason:

Colby Rasmus, L, OF: accepted QO last season.  Poor OBP, but can play good defense at all three positions.  Has some pop.

Austin Jackson, R, OF: used to be good.  Hasn't been recently.  May be had on a minor league contract.

Chris Coughlan, L, utility: Awful 2016 in Oakland. Played well in Chicago.  OBP of .352 and .341 in 14/15.  Could play RF some.  Wouldn't need Flaherty.

Luis Valbuena, L, infield: I like him as an out of the box option.  With a .350+ OBP, you could DH him.  No need to carry Flaherty.  Schoop wouldn't have to play everyday.  Backfills Hardy in 2018.  I haven't heard too much about his market.

I think the starting rotation *MIGHT* be okay next year. Gausman and Bundy both could continue to improve. Miley I think can be useful. Remember this team last year was giving starts to Wilson and Wright. If the rotation stays relatively healthy, I think the rotation might be alright. 

18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm pretty confident that the SP will be better this season. I like Castillo/ Hundley at C. (Dyson/Pagan)/Trumbo RF. Mancini/Trumbo DH, Kim/Joey LF

I agree. I think Castillo is fine, don't Hundley as starter. We have to save money somewhere and get our defensive range back in the outfield. So I'd go with Mancini/Kim DH, and I'd love to get two speedy outfielders out of Pagan, Revere, Bourne. I'd prefer Revere in left and Pagan in right. These guys should not cost a ton over multiple years. In my opinion, if you are going to bring Trumbo back to DH, then just spend a little more and get Edwin--the sure thing. With his track record his contract might look like a bargain this time next year and you could easily trade him.

On 12/11/2016 at 8:16 AM, wildcard said:

Roch talked about the subject this morning here.   I would add my perspective. http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/12/this-that-and-the-other-130.html

It would appears that the trade options for the O's have not matched up very well.  The O's value their relievers more than the market does at this point.  So exploring the FA market may be where its at for the O's  going forward.

Ages are as of July 1st 2017.

Catcher

Wellington Castillo -(30)  Seems to be #1 target.  Made 3.7m in 2016.  Was projected to make 5.9 m in arbitration. O's willing to go 2 years.  Probably 2/10m. Bats right-handed.

Nick Hundley (33)  is  a backup.  Made 3.15m in 2016.  MLBTR projects 2/10m. Bats Right-handed.

Matt Wieters (31) - Made 15.8 in 2016.  MLBTR projects 3/39m Boras say wait until January.  O's would like to move faster. Switch hitter.

DH

Mark Trumbo (31) - Made 9.15m in 2016.  Asked 4/80. Has dropped to 4/70-75m.  MLBTR projects 4/60m. O's reportedly at 4/52m.  Rockies, Mariners, Cardinals and O's still interested. Bats right-handed.

Trey Mancini (25) - is backup.  Projected salary .535m.   Has option.  If Trumbo is signed Mancini becomes trade bait.  He will have not future with the O's. Bats right-handed.

Pedro Alvarez (30) - Made 5.75m in 2016. Signing sounds unlikely because Buck wants a DH that can also play somewhere in the field.  Bats left handed.

Note: If Trumbo signs, Kim gets his at bats in left field.  If Mancini is the DH Kim may split time between LF and DH.

Outfielders

Jones in center.  Kim part or full time in left. But may see some time at DH.

Rickard and Tavares seem best fit for right field/leadoff hitter. Buck has said repeatedly that he does not want Jones leading off in 2017.

Left field

Buck commented that the O's can't pay 7 or 8m for a part time or bench player.

Michael Saunders (30) -  Made 2.9m in 2016.  MLBTR projects 3/33m.  O's unlikely to sign Trumbo and Saunders with Kim on the team  Bats left-handed.  Better in left field.  Can play some right field. Often injured.

Ben Revere ( 29) - Made 6.25m in 2016.  Left-handed  hitter. Has weak arm.

Micheal Bourn (34) - Made 10m in 2016. Bats left handed. Can play right field also.

Angel Pagan (35) - Made 11.2m in 2016. Switch hitter Can play all three fields.

O's likely to wait for the market to fall.

Relievers

Probably reliever(s) with options if the O's do not trade a reliever.

A lot of this is JMO.

If the fact that Buck wants a DH that can adequately plat the field none of  Mancini , Alvarez, or Trumbo are real fits. Trumbo is beckup 1B and a mediocre OF. Mancini is a back up 1B and should go to AAA the see if he can be converted to OF or even 3B. Alvarez is not a good fielder period 

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

I agree. I think Castillo is fine, don't Hundley as starter. We have to save money somewhere and get our defensive range back in the outfield. So I'd go with Mancini/Kim DH, and I'd love to get two speedy outfielders out of Pagan, Revere, Bourne. I'd prefer Revere in left and Pagan in right. These guys should not cost a ton over multiple years. In my opinion, if you are going to bring Trumbo back to DH, then just spend a little more and get Edwin--the sure thing. With his track record his contract might look like a bargain this time next year and you could easily trade him.

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

If Trumbo is DH where are you playing Edwin.

I'm holding out hope that Trumbo signs elsewhere. I think a realistic free agent approach would probably be Revere, Castillo, and Pagan. Nothing fancy, all should be affordable and adds a new dynamic to the team regarding speed. I'm all for moving Kim to DH and splitting time with Mancini. That gives Mancini some time to develop at the big league level and keeps Kim off the field. 

On 12/11/2016 at 0:25 PM, thezeroes said:

To be fair with the starting staff you should address the following difference from 2016 to the upcoming 2017 season.

First off would be a full year of an un-teathered Dylan Bundy.

Second would be the added experience that Kevin Gausman has gotten.

Third is the walk year for Tillman, Gallardo and Jimenez which usually gets the most from them.

Fourth is the Miley change at the end of the year from talking with Scott McGregor

Fifth is a healthy beginning for Gallardo

If you do not think any of these make a difference in the overall starting staff then you need not continue a conversation on the topic unless you can counter with a different scenario for all SIX.

Well done, with all your assessments.  All very valid points.  Agree wholeheartedly. A very uplifting read!

Archived