Which reliever has more trade value?

FanSince88

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not really. He only has two seasons of 2+ WAR and teams place more value on closers than they do middle relievers. The only reason Andrew Miller was able to net such a big return last year was because he was great AND had closer experience. If the Orioles (or you) expect to receive that type of value for Brach then he'll never get traded. For example, using your logic the Mets should give us Conforto for Brach. Never gonna happen.

Yeah, really.  Brach has good trade value and his record speaks for itself.  You can pretend it doesn't exist, if you wish.  The non-emboldened portion of your post is completely unrelated to what I said.

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Depending on how much of a "win-now" mentality I had, I'd probably want Britton most, followed by Givens then Brach. If I was dead set on winning now, I'd flip Brach and Givens.

Exactly. If you are trading to a contender that has a hole at closer, Britton is the most valuable. He could get us the next Manny.

If you are trying to sell an asset and look for a cheap controlled guy who may or may not be the next Britton, Givens is the most valuable. He would be the best bet to get us a veteran rental like Cargo.

Brach is in between but may have the most general interest because he could be useful to either type of team. 

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's absolutely Britton. And I could care less about age, contract length, etc. When Brach has consistently performed at this level for 3+ seasons then "maybe" we have this discussion. Until then people need to take off the orange tinted glasses and curb their trade expectations for what we can get in return for Brach. 

And I don' t see any scenario where Angelos signs off o trading Britton right now. I think Dan would need to "convince" Angelos and I don't even think he's on board with the idea. If they fall out of contention this season I'm hoping that Dan will at least broach the subject with Agenlos. 

2 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

Britton by light years. Brach is a good relief pitcher, but there are plenty of guys like him out there. He's being vastly overrated by Orioles fans whose expectations of the return he might bring are often unrealistic. Britton is a special talent who could bring back a significant return. And he's at peak value right now.

Gotta agree here. Britton is coming off one of the greatest relief years in MLB history and is the best closer in baseball. People seem to forget that the Orioles don't make the playoffs last year without him. I don't think he's going anywhere.

This whole trade a reliever thing is probably a moot point.  The only hole we have on this team to fill is RF really.  Mancini could be counted on DH if need be.  Plus there are several DH options available like Chris Carter and Pedro Alvarez that don't appear to have a market.  

I don't think it would be worth it to get rid of one of Brach or Givens just to try and unload one of Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo.  

Archived