Jose Bautista: Yay or Nay

joew

Personally, as an Orioles fan I don't like the guy. I am sure O'day and others may feel the same way.

Without a true #1 leadoff batter - I rather consider Bautista (lifetime .370 OBP) versus Trumbo. Would you give Bautista the same 4 Year $55 Million offer as Trumbo? I think I rather have Bautista than Trumbo for the same deal. Yes, we move down a few picks but we still get to keep a #1. We get same potential power as Trumbo but so much more upside with OBP, Def, and etc. Ii think both Machado, Jones, Davis and Schoop will easily get over 100 RBI's. Also, really helps when your top 2 takes pitches and draws walks. Maybe that sets the tone for the middle.

I like the lineup:

Kim (LF)
Bautista (RF)
Machado (3B)
Jones (OF)
Davis (1B)
Schoop (2B)
Hardy (SS)
Mancini (DH)
Joseph (C)

What do you guys think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this was a few years ago, I'd be willing to put my hatred for him aside. I'm not, however, willing to put the clubhouse at risk for a player that may and/or may not bounce back given his age. His bat looked slower last year and so did his jumps in the OF (based on what I saw and some of what I've read/heard). Based on what you would have to pay, he could be a bargain, but the gamble is too high when you factor the other aspects. 

12 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

1. Cause we don't want our first round pick going to a division rival

2. He had his worst season as a pro last year, and was awful in the 2nd half

3. He's going to be 36

A 1,000 times this, plus you have to give a draft pick for a player who is on the decline.  Bautista is the most hated current player for most O's fan doesn't help either.  

I would not give him the Trumbo money. No way (then again, I wouldn't give Trumbo the Trumbo money). Bautista is 36 years old and coming off a bad (for him) year. I don't think there's any reason to believe he'll rebound in any big way. I would certainly take him on a one-year deal though. If I were going to give the Trumbo money to anyone, I'd add a bit more and sign Encarnacion, one of the most remarkably consistent hitters in baseball. Bautista would be a good one-year stopgap in right (if you sign somebody like Ben Revere to play left and lead off, then move Kim to DH).

Why not Edwin Encarnacion?  He's the better player.  Let's be real, Trumbo, Bautista and EE are all DH's. To me, EE makes the most sense.  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/encared01.shtml

Look at those last 5 seasons.  We'd be a much better team signing EE to DH and then adding a guy like Bourn/Crisp/R.Davis/ for RF.  

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why not Edwin Encarnacion?  He's the better player.  Let's be real, Trumbo, Bautista and EE are all DH's. To me, EE makes the most sense.  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/encared01.shtml

Look at those last 5 seasons.  We'd be a much better team signing EE to DH and then adding a guy like Bourn/Crisp/R.Davis/ for RF.  

Yep you want a Blue Jay sign this guy Edwin Encarnacion.

1 hour ago, joew said:

Personally, as an Orioles fan I don't like the guy. I am sure O'day and others may feel the same way.

Without a true #1 leadoff batter - I rather consider Bautista (lifetime .370 OBP) versus Trumbo. Would you give Bautista the same 4 Year $55 Million offer as Trumbo? I think I rather have Bautista than Trumbo for the same deal. Yes, we move down a few picks but we still get to keep a #1. We get same potential power as Trumbo but so much more upside with OBP, Def, and etc. Ii think both Machado, Jones, Davis and Schoop will easily get over 100 RBI's. Also, really helps when your top 2 takes pitches and draws walks. Maybe that sets the tone for the middle.

I like the lineup:

Kim (LF)
Bautista (RF)
Machado (3B)
Jones (OF)
Davis (1B)
Schoop (2B)
Hardy (SS)
Mancini (DH)
Joseph (C)

What do you guys think?

Would keep me away for a season or two until he is out of the game. 

50 minutes ago, weams said:

Would keep me away for a season or two until he is out of the game. 

No it wouldn't and you know it! ;) 

I'm all for Bautista is the contract was right. I thin he's be much less expensive than Encarnacion and his OBP and ability to work pitchers is what this lineup needs. Saying all that, DD basically already said the Orioles were not going to go after him so it's probably not going to happen.

Archived