Jose Bautista: Yay or Nay

joew

I didn't vote because it would depend entirely on the parameters of the deal. He's 36 and his numbers fell off a cliff last year, so no way I would give him a long-term deal. But if he can be had for a reasonable cost on a one-year deal, I'd be fine with it.

Bautista has left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few times (I wouldn't mind the arrogance so much if he weren't always whining when things don't go his way). But fans tend to overlook those things when it's their own guy. Even if he only rebounded to 30 homers, 90 RBIs and a .250 average, that would be huge. And even in the terrible season he had this year he still had a .366 OBP and .817 OPS.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, esmd said:

BS you can't disrespect him.  I wouldn't even give him a Cruz deal, but some other team that does would be giving him about as much as he deserves at his age and apparent state of decline.

I'm just making a play on Bautista wanting 5/$150 earlier this season and feeling disrespected that the Blue Jays weren't close.

2 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

I didn't vote because it would depend entirely on the parameters of the deal. He's 36 and his numbers fell off a cliff last year, so no way I would give him a long-term deal. But if he can be had for a reasonable cost on a one-year deal, I'd be fine with it.

Bautista has left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few times (I wouldn't mind the arrogance so much if he weren't always whining when things don't go his way). But fans tend to overlook those things when it's their own guy. Even if he only rebounded to 30 homers, 90 RBIs and a .250 average, that would be huge. And even in the terrible season he had this year he still had a .366 OBP and .817 OPS.

What would be acceptable parameters?  With the lost QO, I don't think there's anything I'd sign him for.

17 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

The ones in the O's price range aren't very good or they don't offer what we really need.

I thought I defined what is needed as good players at positions that the Orioles have not filled, and not specific skill sets which may on may not be valuable. Good Players, not guys that do a "thing."

That's my point. For example, Trumbo hits HR. Does that make him a good player? To a team looking to add power...yes. But he's not the type of player the Orioles need. They need more speed and ability to get on base. To me, that guy was Dexter Fowler. And the Orioles made it very clear he was not on the table for them. Pagan is a decent 1 year option, but then you have the merry-go-round continue next year. 

Archived