What have been Dan Duquette's best moves?

Frobby

Chen, Cruz, Trumbo acquisitions are big ones. Smaller ones like McLouth helped alot in '12. Kim in '16 also helped even though Kim hasnt helped like they thought in the field.  Brach another very good one. Pearce in '14 was a stud. Some of trhese are no brainer moves for a team with no depth, but they worked. Other than Cruz, Duquette's FA comp signings do tend to backfire.  

On 12/26/2016 at 9:56 AM, Frobby said:

Here's how I'd rank them:

8.   Figuring out a way to get Steve Pearce back two days after releasing him in April 2014.

I was going to mention that but I didn't know how to phrase it right. That was some sly maneuvering. Steve and Dan had to have had some communication on the down low.

16 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Chen, Cruz, Trumbo acquisitions are big ones. Smaller ones like McLouth helped alot in '12. Kim in '16 also helped even though Kim hasnt helped like they thought in the field.  Brach another very good one. Pearce in '14 was a stud. Some of trhese are no brainer moves for a team with no depth, but they worked. Other than Cruz, Duquette's FA comp signings do tend to backfire.  

This is certainly not unique to Dan Duquette. 

On 12/26/2016 at 8:56 AM, Frobby said:

Here's how I'd rank them:

1.    Extending Adam Jones for 6/$85 mm.

2.    Signing Wei-Yin Chen for 4/$19 mm (including 4th year option)

3.   Signing Miguel Gonzalez to a minor league deal.  

4.   Trading Devin Jones for Brad Brach.

5.  Signing Nelson Cruz to a one-year deal that cost a 2nd round pick but brought back a 1s pick.

6.   Trading Steve Clevenger for Mark Trumbo.

7.  Signing Nate McLouth to a minor league deal in mid-2012, then signing him to a $2 mm deal for 2013, then letting him walk.   

8.   Figuring out a way to get Steve Pearce back two days after releasing him in April 2014.

9.   Signing Hyun Soo Kim for 2/$7 mm.

10.  Trading Jeremy Guthrie for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom.

Honorable mentions: signing Wilson Betemit for 2/$2.75 mm, signing Pedro Alvarez for 1/$6 mm, signing Luis Ayala for 2/$1.85 mm (including team option), picking up Ryan Flaherty in the Rule 5 draft, acquiring Danny Valencia for cash, trading Troy Patton for Nick Hundley, signing Delmon Young to a minor league deal in 2014.

I'm sure there are some people who'd put the Norris and Miller trades on the list, but I wouldn't.

1) Knowing the value of Buck Showalter and keeping him here as long as possible.

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was that Dan or was that ownership?

Considering the timing I am inclined to think it was ownership.

Exactly. Dan has zero control over the manager. If PA wanted to change managers he might consult with Dan but it's 100% Big Peter's decision.

I'm so glad Dan is the GM.  Dude knows what he's doing.  I watched a documentary the other night about the 1994 Expos.  I'll tell you what, Dan can build a team.  He took over that team in 91 with no budget and assembled one of the best teams potentially ever.  I never really understood his influence until I watched that film.

Here's a link to the film. Lots of interviews with Dan.

Archived