Bench production must improve in 2017

Frobby

34 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

What team is that dependent on their bench?

With injuries, rest, and platoons the bench got quite a few at bats last season, the starters at C, SS, LF & DH were all right around 400 AB or less. I know Rickard was starting before he got hurt and did ok, but Reimold, Joseph and Flaherty were pretty bad. Pearce, Pena, Janish and Stubbs were all even worse although they didn't see as much playing time.

This season Castillo will need rest, probably Hardy too. Without injuries were still looking at an OF platoon, maybe a DH platoon, and probably a Rule V outfielder. Whoever is on the bench this season we need better production than what we got last year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

If you go by the B-R Splits which is not what the OP used but is a split between starters and substitutes it would be as follows:

Starters slash line .259/.322/.426/.749

Subs slash line .202/.279/.313/.592

This is for only the AL and includes pitchers when in NL Parks.

Using this method, the O's subs were at .600, slightly better than league average.   

24 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

That was not the criteria that was used in the initial post of this thread But is readily available to view on B-R.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats_lg.cgi?full=1&params=stsub|as Sub|AL|2016|bat|AB|

Yes, it's a much more limited criterion.    The O's had only 143 PA for hitters playing as a sub, and 46 of those came from starters who were taking a day off.    Most of the stats of the players I mentioned in the OP came on days when they were in the starting lineup.   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

In the month he played the most (May - 23 games, 61 PA), Flaherty posted a .505 OPS.   So I'm not sure it matters how much he plays.   He did hit well in June while playing a fair amount.   

The "fair amount" Flaherty played in June was basically the same as "the most" he played in May:

May 2016: 53 at-bats (61 PAs), .505 OPS

June 2016: 53 at-bats (59 PAs), .865 OPS, incl. 3 homers, 3 doubles, 10 RBIs.

As such, Flaherty merely hit as the Orioles have learned he would during his now-five years with the team: poorly at the beginning of the season, followed by a strong burst, and then a regress until the fall--plus the bonus of reliability in the postseason (.830, 2 homers in 36 PAs). Broken down by months, his career split is: April .550; May .534; June .728; July .544; August .662; Sept./Oct. .788.

In 2016 the American League had 189 players that matched the criteria of having less 301 Plate Appearances.  Of those 189 players, 36 had an OPS of .750 or better.

Chris Parmelee

John Hicks

Trey Mancini

Jesus Sucre

Dariel Alvarez

Gary Sanchez

Matt Davidson

Charlie Tilson

Brett Nicholas

Jimmy Paredes

Jonathan Lucroy

Ryon Healy

Chris Young

Mike Freeman

Sandy Leon

Andrew Benintendi

Kennys Vargas

Josh Reddick

Geovany Soto

Drew Butera

Mike Moustakas

Robinson Chirinos

Michael Bourn

Alex Bregman

Steven Moya

Jefry Marte

Mike Zunino

Franklin Gutierrez

Marlon Byrd

Nick Franklin

Tyler Austin

Jorge Polanco

Shin-Soo Choo

Richie Shaffer

Billy Butler

Justin Ruggiano

Played at the right time, the combination of his defensive skills and versatility and bat--and he doesn't screw up on the basepaths--make Flaherty good enough to have rested Manny and Schoop more, with the hope that it would also increase their levels of performance. In general, I just don't like how Buck runs his regulars into the ground.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Played at the right time, the combination of his defensive skills and versatility and bat--and he doesn't screw up on the basepaths--make Flaherty good enough to have rested Manny and Schoop more, with the hope that it would also increase their levels of performance. In general, I just don't like how Buck runs his regulars into the ground.

Yes, I agree.    However, it's hard to argue with his September record.   You'd think the team would slump then if they were tired, but they generally have played very well then.  

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I agree.    However, it's hard to argue with his September record.   You'd think the team would slump then if they were tired, but they generally have played very well then.  

Yes, that is a mystery isn't it? Pitching is a big part of that equation and I have no qualms about how Buck handles that. I guess a devil's-advocate's question is whether they would have done even better in September/October if they had been rested earlier and presumably had more gas in the tank. I think that under Buck we'll never know, although to his credit he hasn't hesitated to play late additions like De Aza, Morse (oh well), Clevenger, and Bourne.

Alright then, how do the Orioles increase bench production?  They're counting on Flaherty again it seems -- if he posts career average numbers next season it'll be a minor improvement, but will he?  And a number of posters here seem fine with Caleb Joseph as the #2 C... are they really going to rely on him again?

If the Orioles sign two more guys -- an OF and someone to play DH -- the bench would probably look like this:

#2 C - Joseph or Pena

IF - Ryan Flaherty

OF - Joey Rickard or Aneury Tavarez

DH/1B - Trey Mancini

Is this acceptable?  I would think someone like Luis Valbuena would really help the team, even if it means they don't sign that DH (Mancini can be primary).

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Alright then, how do the Orioles increase bench production?  They're counting on Flaherty again it seems -- if he posts career average numbers next season it'll be a minor improvement, but will he?  And a number of posters here seem fine with Caleb Joseph as the #2 C... are they really going to rely on him again?

At least Joseph has nowhere to go but up.  

I am not sure if that is true with Joseph. He may be a guy that just needs regular AB's to  be a least average. I think Buck is pretty set with his 7 guys and not overly worried about his bench players being ready. I think some of the guys at AAA and AA are more "ready" offensively than the O's bench players. Buck is pretty much a go by the "book" guy, he looks for the guy that will give him D more closely than a quality AB.

Archived