Will Rickard beat out Kim for the starting job in left field?

wildcard

32 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Kim is a good base runner in the sense that he is not an idiot, he hustles, and he is 'fast for his size".  Rickard would seem to have far more innate base running ability (assuming not being an idiot and hustling are teachable skills).

Kim reminds me of Hideki Matsui. Without the power.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Norfolk wouldn't be bad thing for Joey. I think he might play his way onto the team tho. We'll see.

Yeah, I think it would be a good thing for him, actually. He could use some more seasoning. But it would be nice if he did play his way onto the team.

50 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I remember seeing Rickard getting picked off and making some wrong decisions on the base paths, while Kim seemed to make good decisions and make his turns very efficiently on the way to picking up extra bases on hits. (I'm not, of course, talking about either one's base-stealing abilities. And I haven't learned base running metrics yet.)

Rickard was never picked off last season.    He stole 4 bases and was caught once.   He took an extra base when someone hit a single or a double behind him 61% of the time.    Kim was not picked off either.   He stole one base and was caught three times. He took an extra base 37% of the time.   

Kim only made one out on the bases (other than CS), while Rickard made six.   But the sabernetricians add all these facts up and conclude a Rickard was a positive as a baserunner and Kim a slight negative.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rickard was never picked off last season.    He stole 4 bases and was caught once.   He took an extra base when someone hit a single or a double behind him 61% of the time.    Kim was not picked off either.   He stole one base and was caught three times. He took an extra base 37% of the time.   

Kim only made one out on the bases (other than CS), while Rickard made six.   But the sabernetricians add all these facts up and conclude a Rickard was a positive as a baserunner and Kim a slight negative.

Sure! If you want to spout facts and ish!

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

My remark, which was meant as a joke, was inspired more by Buck's reluctance to play Kim than any talent advantage Little Joey might have, real or imagined.

Sorry--my mistake: I meant to quote FRobby's post about RIckard's superior base running stats, not your joke!

No one can deny that Rickard was certainly exciting and refreshing for the first three weeks. Likewise, the opposite was true for Kim. Many here live on first impressions and SSS either in the positive or negative. Brady is always positive and seems to be very loyal to his players. Nolan Reimold is a prime example. I take anything he says with a grain of salt. I like Kim despite all his flaws. He plays the game right, if not pretty. He hits cutoffs, he hits behind runners, he takes what pitchers give him...not glamorous stuff. I don't see Rickard in the same light yet. His speed makes up for some of his deficiencies, and I do like speed. We'll see, Buck will certainly decide and I'm guessing Buck is not likely to change his stripes. Kim will have to prove himself all over.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

On this one, my memory must be playing tricks on me. Maybe it was the failed attempted steal or that I've confused him with witnessing Stubbs getting picked off (may have even been pinchrunning then).

59 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

No one can deny that Rickard was certainly exciting and refreshing for the first three weeks. Likewise, the opposite was true for Kim. Many here live on first impressions and SSS either in the positive or negative. Brady is always positive and seems to be very loyal to his players. Nolan Reimold is a prime example. I take anything he says with a grain of salt. I like Kim despite all his flaws. He plays the game right, if not pretty. He hits cutoffs, he hits behind runners, he takes what pitchers give him...not glamorous stuff. I don't see Rickard in the same light yet. His speed makes up for some of his deficiencies, and I do like speed. We'll see, Buck will certainly decide and I'm guessing Buck is not likely to change his stripes. Kim will have to prove himself all over.

I agree in general with what you say here. Rickard's type of speed only begins to make up for other deficits like a *63-point* difference in OBP (.319 vs. .382), especially since OBP's been such a long-standing lack in our particular line-ups.

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

One thing to remember is that Rickard has options, Kim does not.  I think it is Rickard that will have to prove himself- if it is a wash in the spring between the two, then they will stash Rickard at Norfolk and see how it plays out. 

30 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

One thing to remember is that Rickard has options, Kim does not.  I think it is Rickard that will have to prove himself- if it is a wash in the spring between the two, then they will stash Rickard at Norfolk and see how it plays out. 

Technically Kim has options, he just has the right to refuse being demoted.

5 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

He plays everything in from of him, mostly on a bounce. And I've seen him miss a cut-off. Or force a cutoff to go way too deep. Fun fellow. Hits right handers well. 

On 1/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, scOtt said:

I thought his defense was alright. For a guy never above AA. He missed the cutoff man a lot early on. Got better I thought. A lot of people on here judge Joey against who we might have had in his place. What veteran MLer. I look at Joey as (now) a promising prospect. A VERY good young player to have locked up.

But he's almost as good as he'll probably ever be.  He's older than both Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado.  He'll be 26 in May.  He's young, but he's not baseball young.

Archived