Roch: Tillman negotiating an extension.

bpilktree

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's not as simple an equation as you make it out to be.    There's risk of injury over the next season.  There's risk of poor performance that hurts his value.   There's risk that he won't like his new team and living situation as much as he likes it in Baltimore.   You make it sound completely irrational to extend, and yet it happens quite frequently.    I guess not everybody is as risk tolerant and indifferent to the personal side of their lives as you are.  

And sure, Tillman lives down the street from the minicamp.   That's a reason to stop by.   But stopping  by three days in a row is a bit different.   I'm not saying it means he'll re-up with the team.    It's just  a sign that he's a pretty loyal, team-oriented guy and that factor may weigh more heavily with him that it does for someone who is indifferent about his team.   

What Frobby said.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's not as simple an equation as you make it out to be.    There's risk of injury over the next season.  There's risk of poor performance that hurts his value.   There's risk that he won't like his new team and living situation as much as he likes it in Baltimore.   You make it sound completely irrational to extend, and yet it happens quite frequently.    I guess not everybody is as risk tolerant and indifferent to the personal side of their lives as you are.  

And sure, Tillman lives down the street from the minicamp.   That's a reason to stop by.   But stopping  by three days in a row is a bit different.   I'm not saying it means he'll re-up with the team.    It's just  a sign that he's a pretty loyal, team-oriented guy and that factor may weigh more heavily with him that it does for someone who is indifferent about his team.   

How did I make it sound completely irrational?  I merely said that liking one's employer doesn't mean you won't take significantly more money to work for someone else. 

I think that if Tillman was overly worried about the risks involved he would have pushed for an extension before now.  I'm sure there was a price point that could have been reached.

And yea, I don't much into three days instead of one.  He's probably just bored to tears, Sarasota is nice and all but it isn't exactly exciting.

One of Tillman's closest friends, Matt Wieters, gambled that he could pass up a long term agreement and go free agent to get a big long term contract.   Matt got injured and now the long term agreement is not as long or as big.   I think that may weigh on Tillman's thinking some.

13 hours ago, scOtt said:

Said it was file and trial yesterday and then signed three more hours later.

Those numbers were never exchanged. It's still file and trial, those contracts were not announced until hours later. They never exchanged for trial purposes. 

So no matter what some reports are...

Duquette spoke again with Tillman’s representatives about a possible extension, but the discussions are in the early stages. And Tillman isn’t hanging on every word.

“I think that would be up to the Orioles. I think it’s in their hands,” 

“They know how I feel about Baltimore and the fan base and my team and the staff. I’ve got quite a relationship with, I feel like, a lot of the fans. I really do love Baltimore and it’s been a great place and I’d love to stay. It’s really the only organization that I’ve known. It’s been a blessing to be a part of and I’d really like to stay. I think it would be cool.”

Tillman is like so many other players who mostly stay out of the business side of the game. I’ve constantly been told, “That’s why you have an agent.”

“Your representatives are going to do most of the talking. If anything big happens, then they get a hold of you,” he said.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/01/tillman-on-contract-extension-id-love-to-stay.html

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No Tillman, it isn't in the Orioles' hands.  It is in your hands.

Geez I hate when players spout that obvious lie.

It's in both their hands.    They both have to want to extend.   Tillman's made clear he's receptive, so then it's in the Orioles hands to initiate a discussion.   Once that happens, it's a matter of whether they can agree on years and dollars.   It's not really that complicated.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It's in both their hands.    They both have to want to extend.   Tillman's made clear he's receptive, so then it's in the Orioles hands to initiate a discussion.   Once that happens, it's a matter of whether they can agree on years and dollars.   It's not really that complicated.  

Not really. 

Unless of course you think there isn't a price point that the O's would be willing to extend him at.

When push comes to shove the choice is completely in the player's hands.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really. 

Unless of course you think there isn't a price point that the O's would be willing to extend him at.

When push comes to shove the choice is completely in the player's hands.

"Hi, how'd you like to extend five years for the major league minimum?   It's in your hands!"

You have an odd point of view.    Tillman could say he'd sign for 5/$110 mm.    Then it's in the Orioles' hands, not his.    Either side can choose to accept the other side's proposal.    But I think the team really controls the timing of when such discussions take place, a lot of the time.   

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would not sing him for more than three years and I'm pretty sure his agent wouldn't do that.  I remember the 2015 Tillman and there's a fine line between that Tillman and the good Tillman.  I'm not willing to bet 4-5 years of big money in hopes of avoiding the bad Tillman.

What does your 2018 rotation look like?

Archived