Roch: Tillman negotiating an extension.

bpilktree

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

"Hi, how'd you like to extend five years for the major league minimum?   It's in your hands!"

You have an odd point of view.    Tillman could say he'd sign for 5/$110 mm.    Then it's in the Orioles' hands, not his.    Either side can choose to accept the other side's proposal.    But I think the team really controls the timing of when such discussions take place, a lot of the time.   

It isn't an odd point of view, it's a literal point of view.  Tillman is making a very simple statement that just isn't true.

If Tillman would say something like "I hope both sides can get together and be willing to make concessions to try and get a deal done." I would be fine with it.  But the tired old lie that they somehow don't have the vast amount of power over an extension is insulting.

To say that the if the Orioles are not willing to offer him substantially more than they have ever offered a pitcher that they are the ones holding things back is ridiculous. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I certainly never said that.   He's not getting 5/$110 mm now, or in free agency.  

You just said

Tillman could say he'd sign for 5/$110 mm.    Then it's in the Orioles' hands, not his.

That to me, indicates that anything under 5/110 would be too insulting to contemplate.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You just said

That to me, indicates that anything under 5/110 would be too insulting to contemplate.

That was not what I meant at all.   That was right after I gave the example of the O's offering 5 years at the minimum to "put it in Tillman's hands."    My point is, it's in both their hands.    We have no idea if any specific offers or counteroffers have been made and who is being reasonable or not,    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That was not what I meant at all.   That was right after I gave the example of the O's offering 5 years at the minimum to "put it in Tillman's hands."    My point is, it's in both their hands.    We have no idea if any specific offers or counteroffers have been made and who is being reasonable or not,    

For players of a certain skill level, a Flaherty or a McFarland, teams still power when they reach free agency, since it is possible that a team won't think them worth a roster spot regardless of price.

For someone like Tillman he has all of the power. 

If he really wants to stay he can accept less than market value and still be set for life.

I'm not saying he should do that but it's in his hands.

23 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Where is that figure coming from?

Nowhere.  It was made up by a poster in this thread to illustrate a point as part of a debate on semantic details parsing a player's statement.

In other words, it's a boring Sunday 30 days before training camp opens, 40 days before a preseason game, and 78 days before Opening Day and people need some baseball to talk/argue about.

I think Tillman will leave it up to his agent and whatever the agent believes the best deal is....that is what he will take.   I do not know the Beverly Hills Agency that is his agent.  Are they of the Boras philosophy of always testing the market?  Or would they even recommend an extension deal to a player like Tillman?   I could certainly see the Orioles going 5/80 for Tillman as he has been an Oriole his entire career and would have some added value in that regard that a free agent coming in would not have.    I mean if the old man was willing to let DD sign Jimenez for 4/50, then it certainly is possible that Tillman gets this kind of deal. 

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 3:10 PM, TradeAngelos said:

Corey Kluber had 3 years of team control left and had almost zero track record outside of that year. Pretty easy to see why he signed that deal. There is nothing even remotely similar about the two players or situations.

I'd say 11-5 with a sub 4 ERA the year prior to winning the CY Young is more than "almost zero" track record. 

Archived