Making room for another FA outfielder

SurhoffFTW

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

My guess like others is that Aneury Tavarez will get that opportunity.

I'll be interested to hear the reports on him from Spring Training.

I'm not seeing how we have room for Tavarez.  We need two RH hitters with our last two unfilled spots to platoon with Smith and Kim.  Or do you think Kim will be playing everyday?  Smith certainly can't play vs. LHP.  Without any additional moves, we are probably looking at Rickard and Mancini in those spots as of now.

Just now, Number5 said:

I'm not seeing how we have room for Tavarez.  We need two RH hitters with our last two unfilled spots to platoon with Smith and Kim.  Or do you think Kim will be playing everyday?  Smith certainly can't play vs. LHP.  Without any additional moves, we are probably looking at Rickard and Mancini in those spots as of now.

Hey, it's not the move I would make.  I am going with the trends - that the Orioles try very hard to retain Rule V players.  Tavarez might have a better chance to stick than even Rickard, because Joey now has options.

We'll just have to see.  The Floridians will get a chance to see him this spring.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Hey, it's not the move I would make.  I am going with the trends - that the Orioles try very hard to retain Rule V players.  Tavarez might have a better chance to stick than even Rickard, because Joey now has options.

We'll just have to see.  The Floridians will get a chance to see him this spring.

The only possible way to do that is to have Kim play everyday.

I was reminded recently that Duquette in 2002 was the GM when the Red Sox drafted Brandon Moss.

I agree style-wise that Jackson or Gutierrez offer the most complementary skills if we add a veteran, but Moss is probably a little better overall and for the park, even if more of the same Orioles style player.  He'd be a relative vote of no confidence in the Kim/Rickard platoon, though, so I'd call it a longshot, but it is hard to overstate how much the Orioles just want to slug in Camden.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But rule V guys are magic.

And they show how much smarter Buck and Dan are.

Three playoff trips in five years.   I think the Rule V guys are a sign of the weakness of our own farm system, not some ego-flex by Buck and/or Dan.   

Archived