Britton wants a long-term deal to stay with the O's

Sanfran327

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Based on Chapman getting 80 mil, it will probably cost at least what Chapman is getting to keep Britton.

The players salaries are going up to escalating impossible to pay for small market teams like the O's to compete with the salaries.  It realistically looks like Machado will be out of the O's league and probably Britton. Based on what David Price got and what Chris Sale is going to get will likely price Tillman out of the O's market.  It is getting almost impossible to keep a good team together long for small market teams.  It is not fair.

Once again, the Orioles are NOT a small market team.  They are not the Rays or the Athletics.  Most teams in MLB have the same economic restrictions the Orioles do.  The Cardinals, for example, have spent a similar amount over the years -- they even had to let Albert Pujols go after a while -- and they've been a constant contender for the playoffs because they're a well run organization.

The Orioles have to save money somewhere.  Trading Britton at the deadline or next off season is the best move at this point, depending on their 2017 success.

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Once again, the Orioles are NOT a small market team.  They are not the Rays or the Athletics.  Most teams in MLB have the same economic restrictions the Orioles do.  The Cardinals, for example, have spent a similar amount over the years -- they even had to let Albert Pujols go after a while -- and they've been a constant contender for the playoffs because they're a well run organization.

The Orioles have to save money somewhere.  Trading Britton at the deadline or next off season is the best move at this point, depending on their 2017 success.

The Orioles, and the Cardinals, qualify for the competitive balance lottery (10 smallest markets or 10 smallest revenue pools).

Would that not be a fair definition of small market?

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles, and the Cardinals, qualify for the competitive balance lottery (10 smallest markets or 10 smallest revenue pools).

Would that not be a fair definition of small market?

Baltimore-Towson has a CMSA (consolidated metropolitan statistical area) of 2.71 million per the latest 2010 census, that's 20th in the country.

DC-Arlington-Alexandria, the partner market for MASN, has a CMSA of 5.58 million, 7th in the country.  That's if you want to say 8.29 mil is shared between two franchises.

Now, I am not really sure how "market size" is defined by baseball.  19th on the list is none other than Tampa-St Petersburg at 2.78 mil.  Milwaukee (39th, 1.56 mil) is more in line with their small-market designation.

The definition is fair I guess, bottom third.  But neither franchise is near as cash-stripped as Tampa, Oakland, and Milwaukee and all you need to do is look at their payroll to see that.

39 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Playing in the NL Central vs. the AL East over these past several decades hasn't hurt the Cardinals' chances any.  Not taking anything away from them, but just sayin'.

16 hours ago, paulcoates said:

b97675e5d8f27218c7576661c04108d9246449f7

The Orioles can't afford to pay Britton 17 million for 60-70 innings.

most here are hoping they can figure out a way to keep Manny.

Manny and Davis will cost 25 million and 21 million if you can't Davis' return money. That's 46 million out of 160-170 for two guys.

Add 15 for Tillman, 13 for Trumbo, and that's 74 for 4 guys.

19 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Based on Chapman getting 80 mil, it will probably cost at least what Chapman is getting to keep Britton.

The players salaries are going up to escalating impossible to pay for small market teams like the O's to compete with the salaries.  It realistically looks like Machado will be out of the O's league and probably Britton. Based on what David Price got and what Chris Sale is going to get will likely price Tillman out of the O's market.  It is getting almost impossible to keep a good team together long for small market teams.  It is not fair.

That seems to be the way with all pro sports teams. Players get way more than they are worth. Owners jack up prices to go to a game. Ordinary fan can't afford to go. IMO. I would like for the O's to keep their top players but that's just not very likely. I like Britton but I don't think Peter A. would allow DD to pay top money to keep Britton. JIMO

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles can't afford to pay Britton 17 million for 60-70 innings.

most here are hoping they can figure out a way to keep Manny.

Manny and Davis will cost 25 million and 21 million if you can't Davis' return money. That's 46 million out of 160-170 for two guys.

Add 15 for Tillman, 13 for Trumbo, and that's 74 for 4 guys.

That is what MLB is coming to though.  The better guys are costing a lot more money. The Orioles need to establish themselves as an every year contender if they want to start earning more merchandise/ticket money. I think that if we start letting our best guys walk, we will sink right back down to a team that isn't in the playoff hunt.  Given the Orioles minor league system that can't get stars to the next level, you have to pay guys like this. It's either that, or wait until just before spring training to sign the scraps.

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

That seems to be the way with all pro sports teams. Players get way more than they are worth. Owners jack up prices to go to a game. Ordinary fan can't afford to go. IMO. I would like for the O's to keep their top players but that's just not very likely. I like Britton but I don't think Peter A. would allow DD to pay top money to keep Britton. JIMO

I wouldn't be 100% certain of that.  Angelos has shown in the recent past that he like to keep his stars in Baltimore.

8 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

I wouldn't be 100% certain of that.  Angelos has shown in the recent past that he like to keep his stars in Baltimore.

I will give Angelos credit -- when the team is good, he has shown he'll pay to try to hold things together.    But I'm worried that, like in 1998-2000, we'll hold on too long.    We need to be prepared to shift gears when circumstances warrant.  

On 1/20/2017 at 10:14 AM, Frobby said:

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you extend them before arbitration it tends to cost a lot less money.  When you let them actually reach free agency...

Are you allowed to do that? If so, someone needs to tell DD

Archived