Dan's not done. Wants to add pitcher & speedy outfielder

wildcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan, Adam and I are on the same page.   The O's need better defensive outfielders. Rickard will get every chance to expand his playing time.  Tavarez will get a long look in ST.  And Dan will try to find another good defensive outfielder to add to the mix   Don't be surprised if Kim or Smith are traded if the others O's outfielders show more in the field and enough in the batter box.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dan, Adam and I are on the same page.   The O's need better defensive outfielders. Rickard will get every chance to expand his playing time.  Tavarez will get a long look in ST.  And Dan will try to find another good defensive outfielder to add to the mix   Don't be surprised if Kim or Smith are traded if the others O's outfielders show more in the field and enough in the batter box.

Do you think he should stay in CF?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think he should stay in CF?

As i said before.  Adams will be the O's CFer until someone knocks him out for the position.   

PS.  That's why I like Tapia.  His range looks real good.  Not that I know if the O's can get him.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm willing to put him there in 2017 and see if 2016 was a fluke.   

I think Jones can be an exceptional RFer, so I would love to see the Orioles get a really good defensive CFer and Put Adam Jones in RF. I also think this would be great for Jones, as I think he could play RF at a high level well into his mid to late 30's. I am not sure if anybody is out there that could be that CFer, but it sure would be great. Billy Hamilton would be great, but that would probably cost too much in terms of talent.

48 minutes ago, theobird said:

I think Jones can be an exceptional RFer, so I would love to see the Orioles get a really good defensive CFer and Put Adam Jones in RF. I also think this would be great for Jones, as I think he could play RF at a high level well into his mid to late 30's. I am not sure if anybody is out there that could be that CFer, but it sure would be great. Billy Hamilton would be great, but that would probably cost too much in terms of talent.

Not sure how much they would expect in return for Hamilton. He can't stay on the field for a full season. He has no power. And really doesn't get on base at a good enough rate for the type of player he is. Would take him. But wouldn't give up a ton to do it.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

We shouold improve OF defense at the expense of OBP?

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not sure how much they would expect in return for Hamilton. He can't stay on the field for a full season. He has no power. And really doesn't get on base at a good enough rate for the type of player he is. Would take him. But wouldn't give up a ton to do it.

I don't know what they would expect in return for Hamilton either. But the fact that he has no power is no big deal to me. He is a brilliant defensive CFer, with blistering speed. Yeah, if his OBP was higher, that would be good. But he is an extremely disruptive force at the top of your order. With Trumbo, Davis, Jones, Manny, Schoop and Hardy we have excessive power the way it is. And don't forget, adding Hamilton would, IMO, make our defensive OF excellent right now because I think Jones would be excellent in RF with his cannon arm and range, Hamilton is an off the charts CFer and a platoon of Rickard/Smith would at least be decent in LF.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Dan talks on the same page as you but his actions are on a different page than you.   He has a LF (Kim) who is below average and a RF who is, at best, average.  They are likely to get the bulk of the playing time at each position.    

Smith is average but a big step up from Trumbo.   Dan seems to have one more OF move up his sleeve, and if he acquires a good defender I'll say he lived up to his words, even if the OF still looks merely average or a little below overall.     We were worst in the majors out there in 2016, so a move to average or slightly below is still significant.    And I do expect Rickard to do better this year, if he makes the team.   

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'll believe Trumbo is a full time DH when I see it.  I fully expect to see him out there vs. LH pitching. Is the defense improved by having Smith out there the rest of the time?  Yes, but I'm not sure I believe it's more than marginal.  I think any OF acquired is likely to be a late inning defensive replacement type.

I actually thought Adam Jones comments were out of line although refreshingly candid.

Didn't Dan already say that?

Archived