List of Remaining Free Agents-Who Do You Want?

Rene88

15 hours ago, Rene88 said:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker

Bourn seems like an obvious target.

Id like to see Tommy Hunter, David Hernandez (what happened to rumors about him?) & Doug Fister on minor league deals (Fister unlikely).

I'd definitely like to see Travis Wood.

Jason Hammel: all about cost there.

What are your thoughts?

I'll take each of your choices. Including Fister. On a MiLB deal with optout. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

They do on minor league deals (as do all teams)...a deal that allows them to opt out at the end of Spring Training for a big league job or at various other points in the year. 

Was a joke.  I used an emoticon and everything.

They also do opt outs, they just call them player options.  Check out Beef's contract.

Disappointing news. I would have liked to see the team take a flyer on Jennings. 

Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds' agreement with Desmond Jennings is expected to be a minor league deal.

Chris Cotillo of SB Nation is reporting that the two sides are close to a deal. Jennings has never panned out as hoped and has missed much of the last two seasons due to injury, but he owns a .778 OPS against lefties in his career and could win a spot as a platoon player if he looks healthy in the spring.

On 1/31/2017 at 3:41 AM, 25 Nuggets said:

There aren't many of the guys left unsigned that I would want the Orioles to offer any more than a minor league deal.  So I'll include guys that such a minor league deal wouldn't hurt.  They'd have to accept it though, so guys like Mike Napoli and Jake Peavy I imagine won't do that.

• IF Eric Aybar
  • IF Gordon Beckham
  • CF Peter Bourjos
  • OF Michael Bourn
  • UT Chris Coghlan
  • OF Alejandro De Aza (reunion!)
  • SP Jorge De La Rosa
  • SP Doug Fister
  • OF Desmond Jennings
  • SP Jon Niese

Then there are the relief pitchers still on the market that would probably require a major league deal and spot on the 40-man.  I still like a good number of them.

• RH Matt Beslisle
  • RH Joe Blanton
  • LH Jerry Blevins
  • RH Luke Hochevar
  • LH Boone Logan
  • RH Yusmeiro Petit
  • RH Sergio Romo
  • RH Joe Smith
  • LH Travis Wood

Any of those guys are a significant improvement on T.J. McFarland.

These guys are coming off the board as we approach pitchers & catchers reporting.

• Matt Beslisle -> Minnesota - 1 yr, $2.05 mil
  • Chris Coghlan -> Philadelphia - minor w/ invite
  • Desmond Jennings -> Cincinnati - minor w/ invite
  • Boone Logan -> Cleveland - 1 yr, $5.5 mil with $7 mil club option

Sergio Romo and/or Joe Blanton are looking to sign with the Dodgers soon, and it looks like the Rangers are waiting till the 14th to sign Mike Napoli (when they can remove Prince Fielder from their 40-man roster).

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So here is the list again of who is left:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker

Quite a few names I would be interested in, especially on a minor league deal:

Blanton, Bourn, Clevenger, Crisp, Fister, Hammel, Hernandez, Hunter, Latos, Lincecum, Pagan, Wieters and Wood.

Wood fits but he is probably going to be too expensive.   If that doesn't work I think the O's wait for waiver wire swingmen.

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Aren't Jennings, Bourjols, etc a better plan than a couple of rule V picks?

DD is apparently going to wait and sign the single OF'er that no one is baseball wants, even on a minor league deal... such a lazy GM

Rule 5 picks can be returned.  MLB players without options signed to MLB Deals can become an albatross if they do not pan out.  The reason is first you need to agree to a contract, you then need to get them through a physical, you then need to make room on the 40 Man Roster and then they need to be productive to pan out.  Rule 5 players either make the squad or get returned for half the money.  If kept they are at a MLB Minimum.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Aren't Jennings, Bourjols, etc a better plan than a couple of rule V picks?

DD is apparently going to wait and sign the single OF'er that no one is baseball wants, even on a minor league deal... such a lazy GM

Jennings signed a day or two ago, I thought.  Bourjos isn't the defender he was a few years ago, and he never could hit.   

I don't always agree with Duquette, but I don't think lazy is a good adjective to describe him.  

Archived