Rules Changes

MDtransplant757

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The replay adjustments are fine and will probably help quicken things a bit. But the system is still in my opinion clearly worse than the eye-in-the-sky 5th umpire solution, both in terms of accuracy and pace of play.

Just now, Spy Fox said:

The replay adjustments are fine and will probably help quicken things a bit. But the system is still in my opinion clearly worse than the eye-in-the-sky 5th umpire solution, both in terms of accuracy and pace of play.

They need to eject managers that have exhausted their challenges when they wander out of the dugout and beg for extra challenges.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They need to eject managers that have exhausted their challenges when they wander out of the dugout and beg for extra challenges.

I think the limited challenge system is mostly dumb, but it's also kind of dumb that they barely follow it. Too subjective. Maybe it will be enforced more strictly this year.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They killed Capps' delivery.

Cheaters never prosper

An amendment to Rule 5.07 was made in response to Padres reliever Carter Capps’ hop-step delivery, specifying that a pitcher can’t make a second step to home plate. In these cases, a balk will now be issued when runners are on base, and an illegal pitch will be ruled if no runners are on base.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Cheaters never prosper

An amendment to Rule 5.07 was made in response to Padres reliever Carter Capps’ hop-step delivery, specifying that a pitcher can’t make a second step to home plate. In these cases, a balk will now be issued when runners are on base, and an illegal pitch will be ruled if no runners are on base.

o

You know, it seemed so blatantly illegal in the first place, the fact that MLB umpires at-large passively sat by and watched without saying anything (calling a balk) is/was shocking to me, to say the least.

It's almost as if the otherwise assertive MLB umpires (at-large) were afraid of Capps, or something. Why they would be afraid to call a balk on him, I have no idea. They certainly don't hesitate to call one on any other pitcher in the Majors for other transgressions of the balk rule.

It's almost like a rookie in the NBA regularly taking 3 steps before a lay-up instead of two, and the referees never calling traveling.

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

You know, it seemed so blatantly illegal in the first place, the fact that MLB umpires at-large passively sat by and watched without saying anything (calling a balk) is/was shocking to me, to say the least.

It's almost as if the otherwise assertive MLB umpires (at-large) were afraid of Capps, or something. Why they would be afraid to call a balk on him, I have no idea. They certainly don't hesitate to call one on any other pitcher in the Majors for other transgressions of the balk rule.

It's almost like a rookie in the NBA regularly taking 3 steps before a lay-up instead of two, and the referees never calling traveling.

I figured that they let it go because their minor league brethren had let it go.

Archived