If you could trade Mancini, what type of player would you want in exchange?

Frobby

OK, Mancini's blocked.   Assume we could trade him for a player of equal value.     Would you prefer to get:

- A back-up outfielder who has done OK in the majors and has several years of service time remaining?

- A back-up infielder of the type described above?

- A more or less major league-ready minor league version of the above, with maybe starting player upside?

- A younger minor league version of one of the first two who doesn't need to be on the 40-man yet?

- A decent but not great established relief pitcher?

- A major league ready (or close) minor league starting pitcher who has back of rotation potential?

- A younger minor league pitcher with more upside but more risk?

I think these are the realistic options.    Which type of player would you select?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd give him half a season in Norfolk before making that decision. His .775 OPS at Norfolk last year may be holding back his value. If he has an .850 or higher OPS at Norfolk at mid-season, he might be worth more than he is today (which I don't think is a whole lot0. Or, the O's might decide to trade Trumbo and keep Mancini.

Let's let it play out a bit. If his OPS isn't significantly higher, I'd look for a less expensive version of Flaherty with limited MLB experience.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think I'd give him half a season in Norfolk before making that decision. His .775 OPS at Norfolk last year may be holding back his value. If he has an .850 or higher OPS at Norfolk at mid-season, he might be worth more than he is today (which I don't think is a whole lot0. Or, the O's might decide to trade Trumbo and keep Mancini.

Let's let it play out a bit. If his OPS isn't significantly higher, I'd look for a less expensive version of Flaherty with limited MLB experience.

How much do you think it would cost the O's to trade Trumbo?  Do you think the comp pick is enough or would they have to throw in cash?

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK, Mancini's blocked.   Assume we could trade him for a player of equal value.     Would you prefer to get:

- A back-up outfielder who has done OK in the majors and has several years of service time remaining?

- A more or less major league-ready minor league version of the above, with maybe starting player upside?

- A younger minor league version of one of the first two who doesn't need to be on the 40-man yet?

- A major league ready (or close) minor league starting pitcher who has back of rotation potential?

I think these are the realistic options.    Which type of player would you select?

Pitching. Or a shortstop.

The way he hit at the end of last year I think he should stay with the O's.  I hope he can learn the outfield, he can't be worse than Trumbo. What about trading Kim, he hit early last year and hit poorly the rest of the year, how do we know if Kim is not going to hit like he did in the 2nd half of last year?

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The way he hit at the end of last year I think he should stay with the O's.  I hope he can learn the outfield, he can't be worse than Trumbo. What about trading Kim, he hit early last year and hit poorly the rest of the year, how do we know if Kim is not going to hit like he did in the 2nd half of last year?

Of course he can be worse than Trumbo.  Have you seen Chris Carter in the outfield?

It can always get worse.

BTW Kim put up a 738 OPS in the second half last year. (Trumbo was at 754, Jones 710 Schoop 643)

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much do you think it would cost the O's to trade Trumbo?  Do you think the comp pick is enough or would they have to throw in cash?

Can't answer that question. I wasn't happy with the signing. It would likely cost us something unless a team needs him to play 1B.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Option three.  The Orioles will need outfielders again next year when Smith and Kim are both off the books.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course he can be worse than Trumbo.  Have you seen Chris Carter in the outfield?

It can always get worse.

BTW Kim put up a 738 OPS in the second half last year. (Trumbo was at 754, Jones 710 Schoop 643)

There are 4 things I like about Kim.  He's a likable guy, he hustles, he fielded 1.000 in LF and he can draw a walk.  Other than that, I don't see any ML ability.

I would convert Mancini to an outfielder at Norfolk this year.  If I had to trade him this year I would want the younger pitcher with upside.....like Phil Bickford, 21, who was the No. 18 pick in the 2015 Draft and received a $2.3 million signing bonus from San Francisco before he was traded to Milwaukee along with Andrew Susac in exchange for Will Smith at the Aug. 1 Trade Deadline. He went 7-7 with a 2.93 ERA in 23 games across both organizations and three affiliates this year, striking out 135 batters in 120 innings, mostly with Class A Augusta before finishing the year with Class A Advanced Brevard County.   He is ranked number 5 in the Brewer system  BUT also now has a 50 game suspension to start 2017 due to the evil Weed.  

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I would convert Mancini to an outfielder at Norfolk this year.  If I had to trade him this year I would want the younger pitcher with upside.....like Phil Bickford, 21, who was the No. 18 pick in the 2015 Draft and received a $2.3 million signing bonus from San Francisco before he was traded to Milwaukee along with Andrew Susac in exchange for Will Smith at the Aug. 1 Trade Deadline. He went 7-7 with a 2.93 ERA in 23 games across both organizations and three affiliates this year, striking out 135 batters in 120 innings, mostly with Class A Augusta before finishing the year with Class A Advanced Brevard County.   He is ranked number 5 in the Brewer system  BUT also now has a 50 game suspension to start 2017 due to the evil Weed.  

There's no way Mancini comes close to getting you Phil Bickford. 

Archived