Advice for taking nephew to his first O's game ...

OrioleMagic79

Sorry if this isn't the right room to post this in, if not, mods please just move this post to its appropriate place ...

I am bringing my 8 year old nephew from Columbus, Ohio to his first Orioles game and I know that he loves baseball but doesn't call either the Reds or the Indians his favorite team. I am hoping to blow him away by giving him the best experience possible at OPACY. I would love to hear what you all think I should do to help seal the deal and make him an O's fan for life ...

But most importantly, I would like to try and get 4 seats (his dad and a friend from Baltimore are going with us) as close to the field as possible near the O's on deck circle (sections 28, 30, etc.) ... does anyone have any suggestions or have any contacts that could help me acquire seats in the first few rows one of these sections? My ultimate goal is for him to see Machado up close and try and get him to sign something for my nephew before or after the game ... 

Thanks in advance!

Getting there early (maybe half an hour before first pitch - or sooner, nobody ever regretted watching BP) can increase your chances of getting up close. Ushers will let you down to the field railing on the 1st base side as the O's limber up before the game, and often one player will sign for a few minutes. Also after the game kids can often get down to the home plate side of the home dugout and catch players on their way to the clubhouse. No way to know whether Manny - or anyone - will sign autographs but your nephew can definitely see many players up close. Note - none of these suggestions require you paying upwards of $100/ticket. Put that money toward an Orioles charity auction for a Machado autographed item.

2 hours ago, beervendor said:

Getting there early (maybe half an hour before first pitch - or sooner, nobody ever regretted watching BP) can increase your chances of getting up close. Ushers will let you down to the field railing on the 1st base side as the O's limber up before the game, and often one player will sign for a few minutes. Also after the game kids can often get down to the home plate side of the home dugout and catch players on their way to the clubhouse. No way to know whether Manny - or anyone - will sign autographs but your nephew can definitely see many players up close. Note - none of these suggestions require you paying upwards of $100/ticket. Put that money toward an Orioles charity auction for a Machado autographed item.

Thanks for the tips!

It's been awhile since I was at OPACY, what are the best places/vendor stands to get food? Living in Ohio, I don't ever get Maryland cuisine (well, except terrible imitations that would get you arrested for fraud if you sold them in MD) ... 

3 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Thanks for the tips!

It's been awhile since I was at OPACY, what are the best places/vendor stands to get food? Living in Ohio, I don't ever get Maryland cuisine (well, except terrible imitations that would get you arrested for fraud if you sold them in MD) ... 

Boogs is still good. 

4 hours ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Thanks for the tips!

Boogs (like MDTransplant said) for a sandwhich and then the food place on the corner if you come in by the ticket booth gates has crab dip on its fries.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Boogs (like MDTransplant said) for a sandwhich and then the food place on the corner if you come in by the ticket booth gates has crab dip on its fries.

That place on the corner you speak of has a crab mac and cheese hot dog. I had one once after pregaming at Pickles and I thought it was the best thing ever. At a different game I had one late in the game where I wasn't drinking. It wasn't nearly as good as I'd remembered. I'm not sure if it was the beer talking or the fact that I got it fresher early in the game. Probably a combination.

1 hour ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

That place on the corner you speak of has a crab mac and cheese hot dog. I had one once after pregaming at Pickles and I thought it was the best thing ever. At a different game I had one late in the game where I wasn't drinking. It wasn't nearly as good as I'd remembered. I'm not sure if it was the beer talking or the fact that I got it fresher early in the game. Probably a combination.

Yeah, that's the one. I had the crab Mac and cheese while sober, early in a game while also eating the crab fries. I don't recommend doing that.

On 2/27/2017 at 4:11 PM, OrioleMagic79 said:

Sorry if this isn't the right room to post this in, if not, mods please just move this post to its appropriate place ...

I am bringing my 8 year old nephew from Columbus, Ohio to his first Orioles game and I know that he loves baseball but doesn't call either the Reds or the Indians his favorite team. I am hoping to blow him away by giving him the best experience possible at OPACY. I would love to hear what you all think I should do to help seal the deal and make him an O's fan for life ...

But most importantly, I would like to try and get 4 seats (his dad and a friend from Baltimore are going with us) as close to the field as possible near the O's on deck circle (sections 28, 30, etc.) ... does anyone have any suggestions or have any contacts that could help me acquire seats in the first few rows one of these sections? My ultimate goal is for him to see Machado up close and try and get him to sign something for my nephew before or after the game ... 

Thanks in advance!

As I fellow Columbusite.. and long time sufferer of an Orioles fan in Ohio, especially, in 1997 when I moved here.. thank god there are more of us in Columbus.

If your nephew loves baseball, then ins and outs of the game, I actually suggest section 34-38 (behind home plate, that will achieve up close) or 90-92 (right-center field). Absolutely perfect views of the whole field and you see everything that's going on.  But if you wanna seal the deal you need tickets in Club Box level (200s) as it'll give you access to the World Series trophies, Gold Glove awards and all that jazz.

Obviously Eutaw Street, Orioles hall of fame, Statue area. That's where you can actually teach Orioles baseball to him.

13 hours ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Thanks for the tips!

Old bay on everything fixes that. I ordered crab cakes once in Columbus.. since then I've never ordered anything crab in Ohio. They don't know what Old Bay is. They think it's an actual bay.

14 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah, that's the one. I had the crab Mac and cheese while sober, early in a game while also eating the crab fries. I don't recommend doing that.

Haha. Sounds like something I would do. It looks good on paper, but eating it is a different story.

Kids like cotton candy and ice cream.  If he gets a little restless during the game, get him a treat.  The advice about pre and post game positioning above is good.  Boog's is great, but sometimes kids are picky and don't appreciate pit beef.  A hotdog or hamburger might be right up his alley.  If you get those close seats, I'm sure this goes without saying, but keep a close eye out for foul balls or other errant bats/balls.

Hope you both have fun.

Archived