WBC Here, If you like it.

weams

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand that. If Colombia wins now, then USA wins tonight, there would be three 2-1 teams. I thought I read they would use run differential to determine the standings for ties, therefore the two of those teams with the lowest run differential would play in a tiebreaker game. It would seem to me that the DR or USA could still win the pool, even if Colombia wins, depending on the score of this game and USA-Canada. What am I missing?

11 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't understand that. If Colombia wins now, then USA wins tonight, there would be three 2-1 teams. I thought I read they would use run differential to determine the standings for ties, therefore the two of those teams with the lowest run differential would play in a tiebreaker game. It would seem to me that the DR or USA could still win the pool, even if Colombia wins, depending on the score of this game and USA-Canada. What am I missing?

OK, I've now read that it's actually runs allowed per inning, not run differential, that breaks the tie. So I can see how Colombia would win the pool, barring some crazy extra inning scenario where Colombia ends up winning 10-9 or something. 

In fact, run differential isn't a tiebreaker at all. It's runs allowed per inning, then EARNED runs allowed per innings, then batting average? That seems pretty weird to me. I wonder what the reasoning is behind choosing those stats. 

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

OK, I've now read that it's actually runs allowed per inning, not run differential, that breaks the tie. So I can see how Colombia would win the pool, barring some crazy extra inning scenario where Colombia ends up winning 10-9 or something. 

In fact, run differential isn't a tiebreaker at all. It's runs allowed per inning, then EARNED runs allowed per innings, then batting average? That seems pretty weird to me. I wonder what the reasoning is behind choosing those stats. 

And if I'm not mistaken, it's not the earned runs per inning in all 3 games, just in games among the 3 tied teams?

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

And if I'm not mistaken, it's not the earned runs per inning in all 3 games, just in games among the 3 tied teams?

Yeah. Which is why the USA-Canada score wouldn't have mattered if Colombia ended up winning. 

That part itself makes enough sense. But I'm surprised they went with specific team stats besides run differential. 

Archived