Spring Training!

Paperman99

Good Morning.  New to the board, long time Oriole's fan.  2016 was a sucky year on the health front.  Good news is, I was able to talk my wife into a Spring Training trip.  Amazing what the big C allows you to get away with!  With that said, what are you able to see at the O's complex?  We are going to Sunday's game against Toronto in Dunedin.  We are also going to the Thur game at Ed Smith Stadium against the Tigers.  Just curious what else you can see while there.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We will be staying in Tampa, so it's a little bit of a drive to Sarasota.  I want to make sure I don't waste any time while there.  Thank you in advance!

4 hours ago, Paperman99 said:

Amazing what the big C allows you to get away with! 

I can't be the only one who thought for amoment you just called your wife an awful name. Best wishes for a wonderful trip and a full and speedy recovery.

As far as I know, the general public is not allowed in or around the Orioles complex behind the right field area once spring training games begin. You can easily walk down and observe the bullpen area in right field area and watch the pitchers warm up.

As far as Ed Smith, the stadium is beautiful and there is plenty to walk around and see. The concourse has many pictures and plaques and other memorabilia for fans to enjoy. If you are into collecting, there is usually a silent auction on the lower 3rd base side with some very nice items to bid on.

I'd recommend a trip to the public beach on Siesta Key. It is a fantastic beach and large area for enjoying the breeze and sand. There are also some good restaurants in the Siesta Key village area close by.

Also, a trip to Armand's Circle is a nice drive, as you drive by the marina and the waterways into Sarasota. Armand's is an upscale shopping area with some good restaurants as well.

I hope you enjoy your trip and if you have any other questions I'll be glad to help if I can.

We definitely should have a "sticky" thread during February/March for things to do in Sarasota or at Ed Smith or Twin Lakes.    I feel like there are several threads asking these types of questions every year.   Here's an old post from Bolton Bob:

For those looking to do the tourist thing a bit, check out the Ringling stuff off Rt. 41.

Also: SARASOTADAY.COM

1680 Fruitville Rd, 3rd Floor

Sarasota Florida 34236

info@sarasotaday.com

www.sarasotaday.com

Just wanted pass this on again. Headed to Twin Lakes w/weams Sun Morn before game.

After game Ushers/Staff & fans/others meet up @ Findaddys for Happy hour fun:

There's also information at visitsarasota.org and sarasotafl.com.  

There's been other stuff posted about good restaurants and such, that I can't find right now.

Archived