The Defense Thread, 2017

Frobby

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Only 7 games in but the O's are dead last in the majors in Defensive Efficiency Ratio.

The lack of range for Hardy, Schoop, and the entire OF is startling

It's amazing how bad the Orioles are. At just about Everything! It's sure to come crashing down immediately. I'll remember that it was you who pointed out the failings.

30 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Mancini let a ball drop in front of him that he probably could have caught if he was more confident in a sliding catch. 

Or had broken to the ball correctly. He may have been able to remain upright. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

You can dive on a soft hit ball to your left with your centerfielder coming in behind you. There is no way that ball becomes a triple. Possibly a double if he boots it. I agree it was a tough read and probably a single, and if he dives and boots it we are probably second guessing him for being overly aggressive, but I think a good LF makes an attempt and could catch it.

I think a good LF would have caught it pretty easily without needing to dive.   And I don't think Mancini was in a position to dive, because he got hesitant and wasn't close to the ball.    I'm glad he didn't make it any worse.    The truth is, the play didn't cost us any runs, because if he'd caught it, the runner on 3B probably would have tagged up and scored in any event.  He just made Givens' job of getting out of the inning harder.  

Game 8, April 13

- On the first play of the game, Gausman got quickly off the mound to field a good drag bunt and tag Carrera as he sped by.  

- Hardy ranged up the middle for a grounder, flipped to Schoop with his glove, and Schoop made a strong throw to complete a double play.   

- Castillo made one incredibly tough stop of a spiked pitch by Britton and stopped a few others too.   One got past him for a wild pitch but there was nothing he could have done about it.   

- With runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out in the 9th, Buck moved his infield in and it paid off, as the speedy Kevin Pillar hit a chopper left of the mound and Hardy was able to charge it and make the play with time to spare.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Game 8, April 13

- Hardy ranged up the middle for a grounder, flipped to Schoop with his glove, and Schoop made a strong throw to complete a double play.   

- Castillo made one incredibly tough stop of a spiked pitch by Britton and stopped a few others too.   One got past him for a wild pitch but there was nothing he could have done about it.   

- With runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out in the 9th, Buck moved his infield in and it paid off, as the speedy Kevin Pillar hit a chopper left of the mound and Hardy was able to charge it and make the play with time to spare.   

Even though he's lost a step imagine that

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 8, April 13

Good observation.

Game 9, April 14

I didn't see most of this game, and didn't see anything remarkable when I was watching.   Seth Smith did a nice job breaking back on a line drive off Britton in the 9th.    That's all I've got.   

Manny booted a double play grounder earlier in the game.  Miley got hit with an ER he shouldn't have because there was a runner on third with less than two outs. This is reminding me of two years ago when Manny really wasn't sharp defensively in April. 

Most of the plays were routine tonight.  There was a line drive that fell in front of Seth Smith earlier in the ninth inning that I thought he could have broke in a little harder on and maybe made a play on.  He made a nice play going back on that one over his head though in the same inning. 

Game 10, April 15

I didn't see this game live, but from the postgame show and the radio account, here's what I've got:

- Manny made three nice plays, spearing a line drive near the foul line, starting a DP from near the SS hole, and grabbing a ground smash down the foul line and making a strong throw across.   On the radio, they mentioned another play where he could have started a DP but bobbled it.    I didn't see it so perhaps someone can comment.

- Castillo failed to block a ball in the dirt in the 8th, allowing a runner to advance to scoring position.    It was scored a wild pitch but Joe Angel felt that it should have been blocked but Castillo tried to backhand it.    Again, I didn't see it.

- The first run scored when Castillo couldn't handle a tough bounce on a strong Jones throw from CF.    Definitely a tough play for Castillo but it's the kind of play Wieters was particularly adept at making.

That's all I got.

Archived