Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't he on pace for well over 200 innings?  He isn't in the top 10 in innings pitched but he would have been tied for third (in MLB) if he had pitched last night and gone 6.0.

You don't think that counts as pushing him?

I tend to think more in terms of pitches than innings.    A guy who throws 14 pitches/inning can go a lot further in games than a guy who throws 18 pitches per inning (Bundy is at 16).   Also, I think some research has shown that the pitches beyond a certain number in the inning are more stressful.     I have no problem with Buck sending Bundy out there for 95-105 pitches over 6+ innings.  Frankly, I've been surprised how consistent Bundy has been at keeping his pitch count within reason.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I tend to think more in terms of pitches than innings.    A guy who throws 14 pitches/inning can go a lot further in games than a guy who throws 18 pitches per inning (Bundy is at 16).   Also, I think some research has shown that the pitches beyond a certain number in the inning are more stressful.     I have no problem with Buck sending Bundy out there for 95-105 pitches over 6+ innings.  Frankly, I've been surprised how consistent Bundy has been at keeping his pitch count within reason.

I understand where you are coming from but I don't agree.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't he on pace for well over 200 innings?  He isn't in the top 10 in innings pitched but he would have been tied for third (in MLB) if he had pitched last night and gone 6.0.

You don't think that counts as pushing him?

Well if he made a start and went 6 IP, he'd be only 1 of 10 guys to make 8 starts.  He'd be tied for third with three other guys.  So half the guys who made the same number of starts have the same or more IP.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Well if he made a start and went 6 IP, he'd be only 1 of 10 guys to make 8 starts.  He'd be tied for third with three other guys.  So half the guys who made the same number of starts have the same or more IP.

And how many of those pitched under 110 innings last year?  How many are 24?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Actually I'm on mobile soaking my feet in the tub. :P

Would depend on how he looks and how the innnings looked.  Maybe 160?

I'm on mobile too.  NO EXCUSES!  

So to keep him under 160, would you ever bring him out in the sixth?  Are you shutting him down for the playoffs if he's at 160.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So what are your views on what are reasonable limits?

I think 160 or so is a fair limit as a general guideline.  I would rather he be used like the O's have used guys with caps recently, slow at first ramping up later, than how Buck is using him now.

I think it is going to be very hard for Buck not to continue to push a successful Bundy.

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I'm on mobile too.  NO EXCUSES!  

So to keep him under 160, would you ever bring him out in the sixth?  Are you shutting him down for the playoffs if he's at 160.

Did you have increased risk of nearby water?  My tablet could have been fried!

Out of the group he would be tied with, he would be the youngest and the only one to have pitched under 110 in the majors was Darvish, whose work in the minors would put him over that threshold.  Everyone else that he would be tied with also has a 200 inning season under their belt.

Out of the rest of the top 10, Dylan is still the youngest and the lowest highest IP in a season for the rest is Nova at 162.

o

18 OUTS: o 8 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts2 Foulouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))) (vs. ROYALS, 5/12) )) [  

IP:lllll 6

H:)l..  4 )(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles)

R:llllll 2

BB:.l1

SO:llll8

Pitches: )  112 )(75 )Strikes, .37)Balls)

2017 ERA: 2.260)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.026 )  51.67 Innings  (53 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .224 )  41  for 183  

PITCHES BY INNING

18 ll(11 llStrikes,  )l)7  lllBalls)

12 ll(81 lStrikes,  )l.4 )lllBalls)

24 ll(17 .lStrikes,  lll.l))Balls)

18 ll(15 llStrikes,  )l.3  lllBalls)

20 ll(12 llStrikes,  llll8  lllBalls)

20 ll(12 llStrikes,  .l)8  lllBalls)

o

While I appreciate the craft involved in Dylan's game this season, it is a little worrisome that every game we talk about how he doesn't have any number of pitches.  And that he has already seemingly become just a "crafty" pitcher getting by on pitch sequencing and location with little room for error because his overpowering stuff that he used to have has been mysteriously absent.    But nobody seems to think this is a problem, so we will just go forward. 

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

While I appreciate the craft involved in Dylan's game this season, it is a little worrisome that every game we talk about how he doesn't have any number of pitches.  And that he has already seemingly become just a "crafty" pitcher getting by on pitch sequencing and location with little room for error because his overpowering stuff that he used to have has been mysteriously absent.    But nobody seems to think this is a problem, so we will just go forward. 

Trade him for a bag of balls now while his value is high.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think 160 or so is a fair limit as a general guideline.  I would rather he be used like the O's have used guys with caps recently, slow at first ramping up later, than how Buck is using him now.

I think it is going to be very hard for Buck not to continue to push a successful Bundy.

Chris Sale went from 71 innings to 191 from 2011 to 2012.  Definitely not the rule but can be done.  

Archived