Orioles Acquire RHP Damien Magnifico

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the O's swap out of options Oliver Drake for Damien Magnifico who is on his second option.  O's add a bonus pick to make the trade work.  Magnifico will be on the 40 man roster.  He doesn't look like immediate help but is a reliever that throws hard and has potential for the future.  He will turn 26 in May.

Additionally,  Dan cleared  532K of Drake 538K salary off the payroll.   Magnifico is on a  split contract  add will be paid a minor league salary while in the minors.

Looks like another solid pickup but I prob would have DFA-ed Bridwell or Verrett first. Garcia has a good fastball but beyond that is struggling with secondary pitches. 

I was hoping we would sign a more proven commodity like Fister for the staff, oh well.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is similar to the Castro move. We're replacing low ceiling guys with high upside arms. DD is always tinkering and trying to make incremental upgrades. 

Norfolk and Bowie are stacked with quality depth arms. We're just missing the high end starting pitching prospects. Hopefully that's Harvey and Sedlock later this year. 

To be fair, Garcia has a higher ceiling than Verrett and some others bc of his fastball alone. Now, that doesn't mean much if he can't develop other pitches...

Multiple choice test:

Over the last 3 months:

-- Pitchers added to the organization:  Bleier,  Ynoa, Asher, Magnifico, Castro, Andrew Faulkner

--  Pitchers subtracted from the organization:  Drake, Gunkel, TJ McFarland, Tomo Okha, possibly Garcia

-- Collateral damage:  an international signing slot

-- Some cash/PTBNLs going in both directions, that we don't know enough to evaluate

Did I forget any pitchers coming or going?

Net result:

A.  Not much, none of these guys will amount to anything one way or the other

B:  The guys we have gotten have more potential to help us than the guys we got rid of

C.  We're worse off

Archived