Please, no more Ubaldo

Three Run Homer

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

But what about all dat depth everyone talks about? DD needs to go

What the heck are you talking about?  The O's are 14-8.  If the O's win this afternoon behind Miley they will be tied for first place. The team has won more games than any other team in the AL since Dan arrived.  I don't want to fire DD.  I want to extend him.

Tuesday is a big day for Asher.  If he pitches well he probably stays in the rotation when Tillman comes back.  Bundy, Miley,Gausman, Asher and Tillman.   Ubaldo goes to the pen until one of the starters are hurt.     I don't see Ubaldo leaving any time soon.  The O's probably will need to go to 7 relievers at that point which means a decision on Rickard, Mancini or Gentry.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I give credit to Duquette for keeping the core of the team intact, not trading Gausman, Bundy, etc.   Putting a seemingly better structure together in the minor leagues as I do think our drafting and development has improved under him.    However, his actual moves for ML pieces have been hit and miss and probably mostly miss.     However, most of his plusses have a minus attached.     The trade for Seth Smith was a plus but the signing of Gallardo which necessitated the trade was a big minus.    The trade for Trumbo was a plus but signing him to a 3 year contract with mulitple cheap DH pieces avaialble was a minus (still to be determined).    The Brault/Tarpley trade for Snider was a dud.    The Davies for Parra trade was awful.    The Devin Jones for Brad Brach was a clear success.    The  contracts for Davis and Trumbo are certainly debatable and you never know how much ownership pushed for those things to get done.

Despite all of his small intriguing moves, you can't really say he's upgraded the talent level on the ML roster that much, if at all.   It's just players that were here or in the system before he got here.    At the ML level he's been a mediocre GM, in my opinion.    I don't think he's a bad GM.   I just don't think he's anything special.

There is no arguing the teams' record over the last 4-5 years and that Duquette hasn't screwed it up too bad.    I don't mean that to sound as negative as it probably does.   Some GM's may have been tempted to go all in like Preller did a couple of years ago or make a big splash like Dave Stewart did in Arizona.   He kept what he had and tried to augment it.    The big question is how much did he really improve what he already had?    I think the answer is pretty apparent.   Not much, if at all.    The whole infield was here when he got here.     Britton, Givens, and O'Day were all in the system.    Bundy and Tillman were here.    So what major pieces, on the team now, were added under Duquette's watch in the last 4-5 years?

Gausman

Brach

Hart

Trumbo

Smith

Kim

Davis and O'Day were signed as free agents.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I give credit to Duquette for keeping the core of the team intact, not trading Gausman, Bundy, etc.   Putting a seemingly better structure together in the minor leagues as I do think our drafting and development has improved under him.    However, his actual moves for ML pieces have been hit and miss and probably mostly miss.     However, most of his plusses have a minus attached.     The trade for Seth Smith was a plus but the signing of Gallardo which necessitated the trade was a big minus.    The trade for Trumbo was a plus but signing him to a 3 year contract with mulitple cheap DH pieces avaialble was a minus (still to be determined).    The Brault/Tarpley trade for Snider was a dud.    The Davies for Parra trade was awful.    The Devin Jones for Brad Brach was a clear success.    The  contracts for Davis and Trumbo are certainly debatable and you never know how much ownership pushed for those things to get done.

Despite all of his small intriguing moves, you can't really say he's upgraded the talent level on the ML roster that much, if at all.   It's just players that were here or in the system before he got here.    At the ML level he's been a mediocre GM, in my opinion.    I don't think he's a bad GM.   I just don't think he's anything special.

There is no arguing the teams' record over the last 4-5 years and that Duquette hasn't screwed it up too bad.    I don't mean that to sound as negative as it probably does.   Some GM's may have been tempted to go all in like Preller did a couple of years ago or make a big splash like Dave Stewart did in Arizona.   He kept what he had and tried to augment it.    The big question is how much did he really improve what he already had?    I think the answer is pretty apparent.   Not much, if at all.    The whole infield was here when he got here.     Britton, Givens, and O'Day were all in the system.    Bundy and Tillman were here.    So what major pieces, on the team now, were added under Duquette's watch in the last 4-5 years?

Gausman

Brach

Hart

Trumbo

Smith

Kim

I think you underestimate Dan's value.  He is the first GM that has been able to put a winning team together for a five year period under Peter.   That is huge.    Gillick did it for two but he could not get along with Peter.    Peter has been  the  owner the team for 22 years and Dan is the only GM to be successful under him for an extend period.  

Dan has gotten Peter to spend like never before.  When Dan arrived the payroll was about 84m.  Now its about 165m.  He has gotten  Peter to double the payroll.  If that does not happen the O's don't win for 5 years and probably are not contending like they are now.

You left out Castillo, Miley and Rickard.  Add what you wrote to those 3 and about half the 25 man roster is Dan's acquistions.  

Buck and Dan are doing something that has not been done in Baltimore since the Glory Years of 1969-1974.   Three playoff teams in  four years.  Its taken a long time to for the O's to get to that level.   Just look at the talent on the team.   Manny, Jones, Hardy, Britton, O'Day, and Brach all ALL-Stars.  Davis and Trumbo led the AL in homers. And that doesn't count Wieters and Cruz production under Dan.   

I don't think you are close to giving Dan credit for what he has  achieved.

18 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Giving you Gonzo and Hader just compound Dan's awful pitching signings.

I legitimately wouldn't be upset if he was in Toronto right now.

So the O's being tied for 1st isn't good enough for you? The O's record over the last 5 or 6 years isn't good? I am old enough to remember when the O's didn't even sniff the playoffs. And because Ubaldo blew up again you want DD to hit the road. Yes he has made mistakes. What GM hasn't? What about Andy M? He made mistakes too. Atleast DD has taken the team to the playoffs.   IMO

Andrew Triggs, 4-1 1.84 ERA

Ariel Miranda, 2-2 , 3.81 ERA

Zach Davies, 2-2 6.57 ERA... 2-0 in last two starts including 6IP 0 R last start

All these guys are better than Nuno, Verrit, Acquino and the rest of DD's depth signings and they are all at ML minimum

DD is, has been, and always will be a bad GM. It is all Buck that they have had a few playoff years

10 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

So the O's being tied for 1st isn't good enough for you? The O's record over the last 5 or 6 years isn't good? I am old enough to remember when the O's didn't even sniff the playoffs. And because Ubaldo blew up again you want DD to hit the road. Yes he has made mistakes. What GM hasn't? What about Andy M? He made mistakes too. Atleast DD has taken the team to the playoffs.   IMO

Keep your standards high:) My husband used to beat me, at least he stopped using the belt. LOL. He's a swell guy.

I do believe the purpose is to win a World Series and not just to suck? But hey, whatever makes you happy.

11 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

This has gone on long enough. 4.40 ERA in the three years prior to the Orioles signing. Not sure what DD expected. Don't even worry about if he might go on a good stretch after we cut him. One good month out of 6 is not enough to warrant a major league roster spot. 

Jayson Aquino looks like 2017's Mitch Atkins. Asher is the only depth SP that has looked like a viable replacement. 

Sigh....Eduardo Rodriguez, Andrew Triggs, Zach Davies, Miguel Gonzalez....wouldn't be surprised if Josh Hader and Steven Berault are added to this list by the end of the year.

If you have a reason for giving out the pitchers that we have lost through trades, waiver claims, roster crunch and FA signings then please give what you would have done as an alternative.

Miguel Gonzalez was a 40 Man decision because ???? Please answer.

Eduardo Rodriguez was traded for ??? and that player allowed the Orioles to???  Please answer.

Andrew Triggs was placed on waiver and claimed because ????  Please answer.

Zach Davies was trade for ???  Zach Davies highest ranking in preand post season polls as far as being a Prospect was ???  Please answer

When fans dwell and live in the past they will become delusional in all aspects of life. It is time to move forward and pick all of the players that are now in the Orioles minors that will become MLB "All-Stars" at some point in their careers.  This will enable all of us to have the perfect hindsight on you being wrong as you seem to have with Dan Duquette.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Andrew Triggs, 4-1 1.84 ERA

Ariel Miranda, 2-2 , 3.81 ERA

Zach Davies, 2-2 6.57 ERA... 2-0 in last two starts including 6IP 0 R last start

All these guys are better than Nuno, Verrit, Acquino and the rest of DD's depth signings and they are all at ML minimum

DD is, has been, and always will be a bad GM. It is all Buck that they have had a few playoff years

Wow! Are you serious? 

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Keep your standards high:) My husband used to beat me, at least he stopped using the belt. LOL. He's a swell guy.

I do believe the purpose is to win a World Series and not just to suck? But hey, whatever makes you happy.

I want a WS for the O's too.

17 hours ago, Nevermore said:

Three years ago and also last year,  Buck put him in the pen. Yes, he was an expensive long reliever,  but Buck did it anyway. Both for his good and for the good of the team.

Back to Ubaldo rather than DD's value. Today's Sun suggested that Ubaldo is close to losing his rotation spot. Buck was noncommittal. 

1 hour ago, Nevermore said:

Back to Ubaldo rather than DD's value. Today's Sun suggested that Ubaldo is close to losing his rotation spot. Buck was noncommittal. 

Phantom injury again I am sure to work on arm slot.

Archived