Apology from me on lack of moderation

Tony-OH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

You may want to lock this thread too then Tony.  But don't delete it.

Nah, it's a good way to watch who the problem children are or will be, but thanks. I haven't banned anyone in about two years and I already took out one problem child. Looks like another it poking me with a stick for  reaction and now is not the time.

2 hours ago, SilentJames said:

I think we all need to get over it. 

Politics and sports, especially baseball, have always been intertwined. Throughout history, forever, and it always will. From MLB's historical exclusion of black players, to its co-mingling with the United States military and government overseas (Read an excellent book Called The Empire Strikes Out (it is not necessarily a critical view of baseball during the age of American Imperialism but merely a "hey this stuff happened and it kinda explains why the Caribbean is nutty for the game.") Baseball and politics have always intermingled. 

What happened the night before last in Boston to an Orioles player is an entirely germane topic for an Orioles messageboard. And shying away from uncomfortable conversations only goes on to allow systemic and wrongheaded ideas to continue to be perpetuated. Perhaps if more people weren't so unnerved by having adult conversations about uncomfortable topics then there would be fewer Boston chuckleheads (trust me I have far more choice terms for them but I respect the language rules here) harassing not just Adam Jones but others in their day to day lives. 

Now, this is an Orioles sports messageboard and it is not appropriate to randomly open a thread discussing the finer points of race theory and intersectionality as it applies to the modern world. But this was a fairly specific and remarkable event considering the responses that came from Orioles ownership, Red Sox ownership, MLB and the MLB PA as well as stories and comments from other players around the MLB. Adam Jones and this issue was the center of the MLB world for a day, and shutting down any valid conversation about that over an arbitrary rule feels wrong. Pretending it didn't happen when this board is consiered basically THE place for Orioles discussion and one of the most popular and recognized fan communities is simply a disservice.  

Why don't you just let it go?Tony has rules for this board. We as fans of the O's need abide by them.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Unfortunately, we are not going to change our no politics rule regardless or whether an orioles player is in the middle of it or not. Your opinion is noted, but nonetheless, we will not allow any conversation or posts that delves into politics on these boards.

Whether politics crosses between sports and "real world" or not, it's not going to be discussed here. We tried a politics board and it just doesn't work. As Frobby said, at the end of the day, you are not going to change my and and I'm going to change yours, but the biggest issue it feeds into trolls who can't help themselves but to get mean-spirited. This then bleeds into the other board and gets miserable around here.

Feel free to talk about anything in the appropriate categories besides politics and religion.

**not trying to be a jerk** but you meant to say you are not going to change mine and I'm not going to change yours right?

One final thing that I feel must be said. 

Tony, who is trying to change anyone's opinion? You and I disagree about a great many things. That does not mean that conversation can not take place. It is not about proving one person right or winning the day. It is about the discussion. I feel you are invoking this rule because there are simply conversations you do not want to have. 

If someone is being immature about something, there are mechanisms in place here to deal with that person. Our own form of moderation seems to do a fine job keeping people in line and the most egregious amongst us at bay. What exactly concerns you so much about these topics that makes them so verbotten? I understand that emotions get high and heated over such things, but is the only option to simply nuke the world - especially when it was such a major event that directly impacts the team, its ownership and baseball? 

By locking and then deleting the thread we are basically just pretending that this did not happen. It did happen, and the reason things like this keep happening in the modern world is because we are too afraid to simply face the music and have the uncomfortable conversations. Now, I do not believe that this simple messageboard will solve the world's problems - but I do think that one step in that process is being unafraid to confront one's own views and a forum, like this one, which is a much more diverse place than we might realize is actually a very good place to start that. 

Most of us only go to maybe six or 10 websites on the regular. And the news we get from the internet is already tailor-made to our own preconceived political notions. The people we interact with on the internet usually already agree with us but a place like this and an entity like baseball cross the political divide in a such a way that there is genuinely a solid cross-section of views, experiences, and ideas. I'm not saying that OH should become Politico, but in extraordinary situations and events like what happened 48 hours ago some leeway should be given. 

I have nothing to apologize for. As many of you know I am in CA and have a phone only. Family funeral. I have left the board short of moderation. My choice. Tony picked up as he could. You can be assured that if you call my attention to poor behavior I will address it. And I will never become part of it. At least on a political end. I'll be back soon. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I have nothing to apologize for. As many of you know I am in CA and have a phone only. Family funeral. I have left the board short of moderation. My choice. Tony picked up as he could. You can be assured that if you call my attention to poor behavior I will address it. And I will never become part of it. At least on a political end. I'll be back soon. 

Deepest sympathies to you and your bride.  She just celebrated a birthday and your anniversary and now this.

Mike, you don't have anything to apologize for.  Clearly, Tony was active in the conversation, so a mod closing it could have possibly been seen as stepping on his toes.  One poster was clearly baiting him.  Kudos to Tony for his public apology.  Well done, T.

Archived