Manny - Time for an intervention?

vab

Is it just me or is this kid trying to hit everything to the moon this year? I have never seen him going to a knee after swinging before this year. Is he trying to get a $500 million contract or something? He needs to get back to the great all-around hitter he's been and stop this over-swinging. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, .223 BABIP despite average exit velocity of 93 mph which is 16th in MLB.    Overall, he's been hitting the ball hard but has had some bad luck.    I do think he's swung for the fences at times, but the main cause of his low BA is bad luck.   He'll be fine.   

I'm starting to wonder if Manny is being ruined/wasted by the O's offensive philosophy.

I believe if he had come up thru the Red Sox organization he'd be a 50 double,  .320/.390/.500 type hitter... and of course they would have kept at SS instead of extending a washed up veteran to clog the spot for 3 years

With the O's he's trying to hit 40 HRs, and it is hurting his average and OBP

38 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm starting to wonder if Manny is being ruined/wasted by the O's offensive philosophy.

I believe if he had come up thru the Red Sox organization he'd be a 50 double,  .320/.390/.500 type hitter... and of course they would have kept at SS instead of extending a washed up veteran to clog the spot for 3 years

With the O's he's trying to hit 40 HRs, and it is hurting his average and OBP

Don't worry too much...Manny will have plenty of time to reinvent himself with the Yankees or Dodgers or Red Sox or Tigers (see how I did that there?) over the next ten years.  

6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Manny has not hit good for a while. From the end of last year to this year, Manny has looked bad.

Do you watch the games?  He's been crushing the ball all year.  He's just hitting them at people.  He's been unlucky. 

4 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Do you watch the games?  He's been crushing the ball all year.  He's just hitting them at people.  He's been unlucky. 

13 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Manny has not hit good for a while. From the end of last year to the start of this year, Manny has looked bad.

There... FTFY.    That is probably what he meant.    It is hard to hit good during the offseason. 

8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

It's also not like Manny's never had slow starts. After his first 35 games in 2014, he had a .179/.256/.256 line. He ended up finishing the season with a .278/.324/.431 line in an abbreviated 82 game season. He also had a slow start in 2015 although he really picked up the pace in May. 

2 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Manny is not worth 300 to 400 million. I am glad that the Orioles would never give him that much money. It is time to start looking for a new third basemen.

Post of the day!

How much a is a 7 win player worth over 10 years? Do tell.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I watch the games.   I don't see him crushing the ball all year long and I see him having some awful AB's where he's swinging at bad breaking balls more than I have noticed before.   He might be hitting into bad luck but he definitely is not swinging the bat well right now except for the occasional home run which is great.   He's just not a well rounded all fields hitter right now.

This. He's not crushing the ball as much as some would believe.

Archived