We have to fix this.

Natty

Gausman and Jimenez.

15 starts. 3 QS, 3 wins. No way we can sustain this and compete with NY and Boston.

Are we going to stay with them and get 15 more starts with 3 more wins by the all star break?

15 minutes ago, Natty said:

Gausman and Jimenez.

15 starts. 3 QS, 3 wins. No way we can sustain this and compete with NY and Boston.

Are we going to stay with them and get 15 more starts with 3 more wins by the all star break?

Who do you suggest replacing them with? Do you release Jimenez? What do you do with Gausman?

It's easy to demand change, but coming up with a viable solution is a much more difficult task.

8 minutes ago, ChinMusic said:

Who do you suggest replacing them with? Do you release Jimenez? What do you do with Gausman?

It's easy to demand change, but coming up with a viable solution is a much more difficult task.

Asher's ERA is less than half of either of them, and he had a good start. Aquino also had a good start earlier. Mike Wright never pitched as bad as Gausman has so far. Gausman is #1 in the league at runs allowed. How can anyone else do worse? As for Ubaldo, of course we will release him at some point. We couldn't trade him now for a box of sunflower seeds. Just waiting around for Gausman and Jimenez to finally get better will sink us.

Two different situations IMO.

Gausman has a long term future with the O's.  He has this year and 3 more before free agency.  He has talent.  The O's just have to stick with him.  Help him however that can to get passed this rough spot in this career,

Jimenez is a short term Oriole.  Free Agent at the end of the year that will not be re-signed.  The O's are 5-2 when he starts this year.  So this is not the time to push him to the pen.   Just keep putting him out there until he pitches better or the team stops winning when he starts.  Then move him to the pen.

17 minutes ago, ChinMusic said:

It's not our job to come up with a viable solution. I get that it is a difficult task but that is what the front office gets paid to do

Gausman is much better than his ERA and will rebound. His stuff and location against the Nats was really good, no movement on his fb yesterday, he just didn't have it. Remember when everyone (including me) was freaking out about Bundy being awful last year? Let's just pump the breaks and let the guy work through it. Also, from an organizational standpoint, if we've kept trotting Ubaldo out for 3+ years does anyone really think we are going to bench Gausy?

I have to admit - I dismissed the Gausman skeptics' concerns on more than one occasion. But man - something's off. You do wonder if sending him down (does he have options?) would make sense at some point... or skipping a start. Something to disrupt whatever's going on. Buck and Dan will no doubt handle it well, but I suspect some of this is normal growing pains for a young pitcher with his stuff.

I still believe Gausman will grow into our #1 starter - but how many "practice" games can we afford to give him along the way? I'm guessing about as many as he needs... 

I fully expect Gausman to bounce back... but right now he is on a Brian Matusz career trajectory

Remember Matusz being great for 1/2 a year and then coming back the next year and being the statistically worst pitcher in ML history. Right now Gausman has Matusz beat for horridness.

16 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I fully expect Gausman to bounce back... but right now he is on a Brian Matusz career trajectory

Remember Matusz being great for 1/2 a year and then coming back the next year and being the statistically worst pitcher in ML history. Right now Gausman has Matusz beat for horridness.

No he doesn't.   Not that this should be the test.    

Matusz had a 5.69 ERA as a starting pitcher in his career.    Gausman's is 4.27.    There really isn't a comparison.    

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Gausman and Jimenez.

Now how on earth are they going to fix it? Ubaldo could be used out of the BP. Kevin can't be optioned.  They won't release him. He'd be picked up by another team if the O's were that stupid. So you play the GM. What do you do to fix it? You think they have to keep pitching him. 

IMO, Gausman doesn't know how "to pitch" as Jim Palmer would say. His FB is outstanding, his offspeed is not. Add that to what is between the ears. Just compare him with Bundy, who does know how "to pitch." Bundy is coming in at 92, Gausman at 94. But Bundy can throw off-speed stuff for strikes -- if he's ahead in the count, if he's behind in the count, doesn't matter. Gausman's offspeed pitches have not developed. Gausman has 2 pitches -- 94-95 heat, change at 85. He needs more than that. Change speeds, throw a bp fastball, start guys off with a curve. He's not doing that.

I remember reading an article on Miley earlier in the year. He talked about how he had to remember not to always be maximum effort. Gausman needs to learn how to pitch. He never had to do that at LSU. He never had to do in the minors.

• Here's Miley: “To be honest with you, it kind of goes back to Scotty McGregor (Orioles pitching rehab coordinator) and the talk I had with him in the outfield last year in September when he got over there, just (telling me) to try easier,” Miley said. “It kind of stuck with me. I think I was working too hard throughout games and trying to do too much.”
  • Here's Caleb Joseph on Miley later in the piece: "There are things I think he’s tapping into here that are going to help him be really successful. He’s really using both sides of the plate. Wade’s got the ability to move pitches around to different areas and locations and continue to change the book." 

Gausman needs to do more of Wade Miley. Hard to believe, but that's my opinion.

There's no magic ball fix here, and Buck will sink or swim with both.

I was hoping the see Gausman have some sort of better breaking pitch by now, but he doesn't, and is still essentially a thrower with FB command issues till that happens. Worst part lefty or righty are killing him he can't get either out right now.

With out that good breaking pitch he's a future back end BP candidate.

2 hours ago, OriolesFan2704 said:

It's not our job to come up with a viable solution. I get that it is a difficult task but that is what the front office gets paid to do

If it's so easy to do as some posters seem to suggest, you'd think multiple viable alternatives would be listed here. Seems kinda silly to me to complain about a problem that currently has no obvious solution.

And no, Mike Wright is not the answer. Come on.

Archived