We have to fix this.

Natty

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Asher's ERA is less than half of either of them, and he had a good start. Aquino also had a good start earlier. Mike Wright never pitched as bad as Gausman has so far. Gausman is #1 in the league at runs allowed. How can anyone else do worse? As for Ubaldo, of course we will release him at some point. We couldn't trade him now for a box of sunflower seeds. Just waiting around for Gausman and Jimenez to finally get better will sink us.

I'm willing to give Asher a shot at the rotation, but not at Gausman's expense right now. Put Ubaldo in the pen if you must. 

Aquino doesn't have the stuff to be a MLB starter (IMO), and I can't believe you're even mentioning Mike Wright. His career ERA is a full run and a half higher than KG, and he's not having a good year at Norfolk either. He's not a viable alternative.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Gausman can be a weapon out of the pen.   Jimenez can't be.   That would be the main reason I'd substitute Asher for Gausman.   Having said that, sometimes doing nothing is the  best solution and Gausman was real good his last time out so maybe we just ride it out a while longer.

I'm okay with Gausman in the pen, as long as it's only to skip him for one start. Perhaps he'd benefit from a wake-up call and some lower leverage situations. He's been yo-yo'd enough in his career thus far IMO. He needs to stay in the rotation until he completely loses it for multiple starts in a row. Were not there yet.

I also disagree that Ubaldo can't be a weapon out of the pen. He just pitched three scoreless out of the pen a week and a half ago against the Red Sox. i'm not saying he's an ideal fit there, but he can certainly give some quality innings on occasion.

22 minutes ago, ChinMusic said:

I'm willing to give Asher a shot at the rotation, but not at Gausman's expense right now. Put Ubaldo in the pen if you must. 

Aquino doesn't have the stuff to be a MLB starter (IMO), and I can't believe you're even mentioning Mike Wright. His career ERA is a full run and a half higher than KG, and he's not having a good year at Norfolk either. He's not a viable alternative.

Wrights lifetime ERA is 5.88, this is lower than Gausman or Jimenez right now for this year. But I just threw Wrights name out there to show how lousy Gausman and Ubaldo have been pitching.

On Mon May 15 2017 at 0:30 PM, ChinMusic said:

If it's so easy to do as some posters seem to suggest, you'd think multiple viable alternatives would be listed here. Seems kinda silly to me to complain about a problem that currently has no obvious solution.

And no, Mike Wright is not the answer. Come on.

Asher has looked much better than Jimenez. It's really easy if money isn't the real issue (which it is). Release Jimenez and pit Asher in his role. Ynoa can replace Asher in the pen. At least getting somewhat decent starts in Jimenez place can allow Gausman a little more time to figure it out.

One of the two HAS to be replaced. My vote is Ubaldo.

I would replace Ubaldo with Asher as well. I would also be real close to replacing Miley with Ynoa. The only thing Miley has going for him is his walk rate has never been this bad. I don't like losing but I dislike beating yourself with walks even more. 

On 5/15/2017 at 9:18 AM, gmelson26 said:

Just think neither one is even the 5th starter!  ;)

I'm not sure how you're counting, but I see it as Bundy/Tillman/Miley/Gausman/Ubaldo.

Ubaldo is #5 at best, and he's that high only if we can't find an upgrade from among Asher, Verrett, the rest of the Norfolk shuttle, the waiver wire, the MiL dumpster, Australian softball leagues, etc. 

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is no way they are going to over haul the entire rotation.  Ubaldo is the leading candidate and a clean break is the best solution.  No bullpen. Just release.  I would certainly give Asher first chance.  He can't be worse and even if he's just as bad it won't be as annoying.

That's not happening.  And shouldn't. Ubaldo does not get released.  Ubaldo will go to the pen at some point.  The O's will keep him around for August when everyone else's arm is tired and several are on the DL with some injury.   I guess it was 2015 when Dan thought his starters were deep enough to  trade Davies at the trade deadline only to see Wilson and Wright go on the DL in early August.   They will not release Ubaldo because  "you never have enough pitching".   It gets proven over and over again especially in August.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:25 AM, Frobby said:

Quality starts can be misleading.   Ubaldo pitched a great game last time out, but allowed a 3-run homer in the 8th and it didn't count as a QS.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play? ;)

Ubaldo pitched part of a great game against the Nats, but that 3-run HR was huge. Sure, you can lay some of the blame on Buck, but Ubaldo no doubt assured him he had plenty in the tank before returning to the mound in the 8th. That was not a quality outing, in my opinion; it just looks good because the rest of his starts have been so bad.

I don't know what the answer is with Jimenez. Trade for a replacement? What do they want to give up?

Archived