Passan Q&A With Jones

Can_of_corn

Love AJ. And this quote says everything:

"Life is an education. Over my 10 years in the big leagues, 14 years in pro ball, I’ve learned. Everyone will say, “You’re just an athlete. You make all this money. You shouldn’t complain.” I think that’s the second-dumbest thing people say. It’s not about the money. I make a good amount of money because people pay to see me. It’s like an actor. I’m an entertainer. No more, no less. Once my entertainment value goes down, I’m out of here. I just try to tell people what I see. I’m sorry if you don’t see them. I’m sorry if you’re not aware of the situation. But somebody in the outside world can’t tell me what a 10-year major league vet experiences and sees."

Love it. Ballplayers should be able to voice whatever they want. I despise when people try to suppress that and tell them to shut up and just play a sport. Where is the cutoff in regards to profession when people can finally have an opinion? That's the ultimately idiocy.

2 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

On a somewhat tangential note, I am with Buck and highly recommend the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. I wandered in there by accident years ago and was floored.  Both by what a great museum it is and by how little baseball history I knew.

Been there several times. Proud to see the uniforms of Connie Johnson and Bob Boyd hanging in the lockers there. Two of my early favorite O's. Happy to share a birthday with Cool Pappa Bell.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Man the comments section is brutal. What is wrong with people? 

Folks often say that the online/social medium fosters such a level of discourse. I disagree. I think it just archives and makes more visible the human condition. I have heard all those comments and worse spoken at bars over the last 20 years or so...including things similar to what Jones got thrown at him from the stands.

Archived