TT: After Crazy game, roster moves loom

Tony-OH

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2017/05/17/crazy-game-roster-changes-loom/

Just an update to this piece that I wrote this morning, Crichton has been promoted and it appears Ynoa may not totally be ready yet. 

Besides the guys i mentioned, Jesus Lirazano (BOW) has been better his last three outings holding batters to a .188/.316/.250/.566 slash line over 4.1 innings with two walks and 8 strikeouts. He could be in the mix at some point though they may be still concerned about the command. One other name to throw into the mix is Lucas Long. The former starter who has pitched mainly in relief for Bowie has held batters to a 214/.236/.286/.522 slash line in 19.1 relief innings. I watched him throw last week and was impressed with his stuff. You can read my scouting observations of him by going here. He's probbaly down the pecking order but if he can continue to throw the ball the way he threw last week, he's a much better option than a guy like Crichton.

Just posted about the same thing in the optionable P's thread.  Did not know Ynoa wasn't ready.  Basically our LR options are Aquino and E.Jackson.  We're facing a lot of RH heavy lineups so I don't know if Aquino is a good fit, but it's really just about eating innings at this point.  

Our short reliever options are Rodriguez and Yacobonis.  If we want to "rush" guys then maybe Scott, Liranzo, Meisenger, Cleavinger.  

A lot of guys aren't eligible to return or just started games in the minors (Wilson, Verrett, Wright).  I think we could see 3 new guys in Chricton, Edwin Jackson and Rodriguez.  To make that happen we'd DFA Pena and option Asher and Bleier.  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Still waiting for Crichton to show the form he did in ST when his mechanics were not what I've seen in Baltimore.  Maybe he's been trying to overthrow and it messed him up.   I have not given up on him being able to help this year.   Also, Jordan Kipper just threw the best game of probably any Norfolk starter this year with 16 groundouts so I'd throw his hat into the mix.   I have absolutely no confidence in Edwin Jackson unless it's just to eat innings.   Don't the Yackabonis is the answer either.

I still think the best options for the pen are Mike Wright and David Hess.   At least, I think they are interesting options.   A few more outings with control and Scott is a possibility as well.    Also, Miguel Castro threw 4 innings for Bowie with no walks and is a mid 90's guy.   Lot's of options but it's anyone's guess as to who steps up.   Bleier moved up in the pecking order last night and Verrett, despite not doing well at Norfolk, has earned his stripes up in the bigs.

Don't know much about Kipper since the Orioles acquired him, but he's got 36 innings above AA and a career 5.8 K/9 rate so I'll temper my enthusiasm until I get some reports on him or see him.

Scratch Edwin Jackson has a possibility for tonight.  He just entered the game for Norfolk.  

It'll be interesting to see if he just finishes the 8th inning for them and if one other guys like Yacabonis or Rodrguez pitches the 9th.  Making them not options for tonight.  

29 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

How close is Scott to Baltimore?

I think Bowie is about 20-25 miles away.     But otherwise, it depends on whether recent command improvements are a flash in the pan, or real.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Bowie is about 20-25 miles away.     But otherwise, it depends on whether recent command improvements are a flash in the pan, or real.   

If they need them tonight, Bowie is in Harrisburg.

I don't see them putting Scott in yet, though.

11 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why DFA Pena?  Don't they have a spot with Gentry?  And Santander can go to the 60 day.  

Is out of options so they must DFA him. If no one claims him they can keep him in the system or try to trade with a team while he's DFA'd.

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would love to see Rodriguez. He has been consistent throughout his time in the minors. I guess that would require a 40-man move, but I think he deserves it.

They have two spots on 40 man but I think they want to leave that open right now.  Why Santander has not went to 60 day DL not sure though their must be something in not doing that.  I bet they want to leave a 40 man spot for catcher if they need one as well. 

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is out of options so they must DFA him. If no one claims him they can keep him in the system or try to trade with a team while he's DFA'd.

With how thin the C position is in MLB we will have to trade him.  Probably for cash or a guy that doesn't have to be on the 40 man.  

Craziest thing about today is the lack of moves.  I know our hands were tied with who we could call up, but really, just Chricton?  

Kim is essentially a rule 5 guy.  Maybe we can keep Santander this year.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With how thin the C position is in MLB we will have to trade him.  Probably for cash or a guy that doesn't have to be on the 40 man.  

Craziest thing about today is the lack of moves.  I know our hands were tied with who we could call up, but really, just Chricton?  

Kim is essentially a rule 5 guy.  Maybe we can keep Santander this year.  

It's going to get interesting if Ubaldo is pulled after 3 innings tonight.  I was expecting 2 pitchers to get added to the roster today.  

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Was it even worth calling him up?  We lost in his 2 HR game and now we lose him.

Archived