Manny projected to be worth $449 million over first ten free-agent seasons

TINSTAAPP

What the ^(*^*(^) does worth 449 million dollars mean?

I'm sick of hearing these X million for Y WAR calculations

Do you get 5 AL Pennants and 3 WS championships out of that 10 yr /449 million?

History shows in almost every single block buster FA contract you get a team that isn't even competitive.

How is that worth 449 million?

I hope that Manny plays a lot better the next 1 1/2 years so he is completely out  of the O's budget

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

So your strategy is to not pay players that help you win games?

No. My strategy is not grossly overpay someone. When was the last time Manny has hit well? Pretty much before last years All-Star Game. In case you didn't know, he's hitting in the 220's in late May. 

Does that scream $30M per to you?

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

No. My strategy is not grossly overpay someone. When was the last time Manny has hit well? Pretty much before last years All-Star Game. In case you didn't know, he's hitting in the 220's in late May. 

What's overpay? If Manny is on average a 6W player, then over 10 years he is worth 48O M.So is 400 M overpay? He could be worth  more.

16 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

He is not worth it. I like Manny and want him to be an O, but he is no Bonds, Griffey jr, A-Rod or Trout.

I want Manny to stay with the O's but no player is worth half a billion dollars. 

11 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I don't agree with the dynamics of payment in the MLB but you aren't even trying to understand the current context of how players are valued. No one discusses Avg or rbi or basic stats anymore. 

16 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

I don't agree with the dynamics of payment in the MLB but you aren't even trying to understand the current context of how players are valued. No one discusses Avg or rbi or basic stats anymore. 

It's tough to be a 6 WAR player batting .220.    I'd venture a guess that it's never happened.    

Then again, I'm not worried that Manny will hit .220 this year or in any other year in the next 10 years.   He'll get hot at some point.

11 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

You can use WAR all you want, I watch the games. He is not a $30M per player. And batting average still means something. 

4 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

You can use WAR all you want, I watch the games. He is not a $30M per player. And batting average still means something. 

Just to be clear, do you think that Manny's performance in 2015 and 2016 was not worth $30 mm?   Because if that's what you think, then I disagree.    I don't think his current pace for 2017 would be worth $30 mm, but it's not like he's been an average player.    He's still well above average overall and I expect he'll pick up the pace at some point soon.   

Archived