July 24 - September 3

SteveA

We play 39 games in that stretch, and hopefully Britton will be back by then.

Of those 39 games, just THREE are against teams that currently have a winning record.   I know obviously that can change, but we are approaching the 1/3 mark of the season and have some semblance of an idea of what teams are good and what teams aren't.

First 98 games (through July 23):  52 vs teams with winning record, 46 vs teams with losing record

July 24 - September 3:  3 vs teams with winning record, 36 vs teams with losing record

September 4 through the end of the year:  13 vs teams with winning recor, 12 vs teams with losing record.

If we can get our hitting, bullpen, and starting issues straightened out (yeah, that's not much to ask :D), we could make quite a run in August.   We just need to maintain our position in contention (we have not been out of at least a tie for the last wild card spot any day this entire season).

A lot of people thought we'd dominate KC and Minnesota, only to be disappointed, so I don't know how much comfort I'd take in that breakdown.   

I note that the "easy spell" begins about a week before the trade deadline.    I hope that won't cloud DD's judgment about what to do if the team is playing .500ish ball then.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A lot of people thought we'd dominate KC and Minnesota, only to be disappointed, so I don't know how much comfort I'd take in that breakdown.   

I note that the "easy spell" begins about a week before the trade deadline.    I hope that won't cloud DD's judgment about what to do if the team is playing .500ish ball then.

KC was bad, yes, but due to improve when we caught them.  But Minnesota, Chicago, Cleveland, Washington, Houston, even Cincinnati were all in first place when we played them. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hope not too.

The more I watch this team and think about the state of the starting rotation, the more I think we are going to be under .500 and fourth or fifth in the division come late July.  We already have the worst run scoring differential in the division. 

The unfortunate thing is that many of our best trade pieces have been greatly devalued over the last year because of injury or decline:  Britton, Tillman, Hardy, even Machado.  

I'm ready to blow it up and start over. 

Archived