Mike Wright's chance is coming

wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Winning is the objective.  Right now Jimenez and Tillman don't look like the answer as starters.  They will give Tillman more chances but the O's better have alternatives.   Asher is a ?    Right now Wright may be the next starter in line.   Its all about winning this year.   So finding enough starters to get through he season is a priority. Placing blame can be a off season task.

There's nothing wrong with having guys get people out in short relief and build their confidence.  Isn't that the old school way of thinking?  It happened with Asher, he earned his starts.  Now Wright could have the same opportunity.  As much as we've all been down on Wright, this is the role we've been wanting to see him in.  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did not see Wright last night but I think a short relief role is his best chance of success.   I hope they continue to keep him in that role.  Unfortunately, I think Asher's best role is also in a 1-3 inning role.   We are going to need starters but the next best thing is building a deep bullpen.     Even though Kipper got bombed in his last start and Ynoa really hasn't gotten untracked at Norfolk, I've got an eye on them as being able to help out in the rotation.   Otherwise, we might have to hold our collective noses and just go with what we have.    Ubaldo actually threw strikes his last time out out of the pen.   If only he could do that as a starter.

Starters are hard to get from other teams during the season.  They are in so much demand.  The O's really need to grow their own.   When I think about Wright I consider how many chances it took Tillman to find success in the  majors.     I  am not giving up of Wright as a starter until he runs out of chances.  He is posed for another shot at starting when needed.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There's nothing wrong with having guys get people out in short relief and build their confidence.  Isn't that the old school way of thinking?  It happened with Asher, he earned his starts.  Now Wright could have the same opportunity.  As much as we've all been down on Wright, this is the role we've been wanting to see him in.  

Sounds good to me.  But sooner or later the O's are going to need another starter.  Probably sooner.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Winning is the objective.  Right now Jimenez and Tillman don't look like the answer as starters.  They will give Tillman more chances but the O's better have alternatives.   Asher is a ?    Right now Wright may be the next starter in line.   Its all about winning this year.   So finding enough starters to get through he season is a priority. Placing blame can be a off season task.

If winning this year is the only objective, then you trade now for another starter.  You certainly don't start Wright.  The only place he can help the team win is the bullpen.  

13 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I am baffled by the belief that this guy is just going to turn up and be a lights out relief pitcher.

Britton, Uehara--but they both had an unfathomable special pitch, which I don't see from Wright yet. Tommy Hunter was overall good for the O's. 

24 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If winning this year is the only objective, then you trade now for another starter.  You certainly don't start Wright.  The only place he can help the team win is the bullpen.  

Who is going to give up a good starter at this point in the season?

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Britton, Uehara--but they both had an unfathomable special pitch, which I don't see from Wright yet. Tommy Hunter was overall good for the O's. 

Spot on.

Tommy Hunter was a very average relief pitcher. Which is fine, because you're not going to have 6-7 studs out there. But the belief from some posters around here seems to be that Wright can turn into something far more than that in the pen. There's just no basis for it - just raw "well it's worked before" belief.

3 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Spot on.

Tommy Hunter was a very average relief pitcher. Which is fine, because you're not going to have 6-7 studs out there. But the belief from some posters around here seems to be that Wright can turn into something far more than that in the pen. There's just no basis for it - just raw "well it's worked before" belief.

Wright''s AAA success has to translate to the majors.  I am not naive enough to think that is a sure thing.  But there is a chance.  A chance that he is likely to get with the Os thin starting staff.

5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Spot on.

Until Zach is back, they're desperate and will try it out. Buck has no personal preference for Wright and will shut the experiment down quickly if it doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who is going to give up a good starter at this point in the season?

We're talking about getting a starter who's better than Wright.  I find it hard to believe that that's an insurmountable goal?         

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wright''s AAA success has to translate to the majors.  I am not naive enough to think that is a sure thing.  But there is a chance.  A chance that he is likely to get with the Os thin starting staff.

I'd sooner throw in with the "maybe he'll make it as a reliever" crowd than ever give him another start. The guy has shown he can't do it.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

We're talking about getting a starter who's better than Wright.  I find it hard to believe that that's an insurmountable goal?         

I'm all for it.  Name one you think the O's can get.

Archived