Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

How much would it take from another team for YOU to think that we should dump CD.

I figure on the open market he could get at most a 3/30 type deal

So if a team offered 30 million for Chris Davis would you take it, leaving the O's on the hook for 70 million?

How much would it take to dump CD and forget that the O's ever signed that disastrous contract.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

How much would it take from another team for YOU to think that we should dump CD.

I figure on the open market he could get at most a 3/30 type deal

So if a team offered 30 million for Chris Davis would you take it, leaving the O's on the hook for 70 million?

How much would it take to dump CD and forget that the O's ever signed that disastrous contract.

Let me know when the Orioles would eat $70 million of a contract. Not going to happen.Maybe eat $30 million at the most if getting prospects back.

Just now, Going Underground said:

Let me know when the Orioles would eat $70 million of a contract. Not going to happen.Maybe eat $30 million at the most if getting prospects back.

Right now they are eating 160 million, I think getting back 25% of that would be a steal. You think he is bad this year wait to see what he looks like 2 years from now. Either get something back now or DFA him in 2019 and get back nothing

7 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Let's eat $70 million dollar to get rid of a player worth three wins last season who has 10 home runs in 200 PAs while slumping.

That's what I'm proposing... Would the Phillies have liked to trade Ryan Howard before his value went to zero? And Ryan Howard was a superior hitter to Davis before falling over the cliff.

19 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's what I'm proposing... Would the Phillies have liked to trade Ryan Howard before his value went to zero? And Ryan Howard was a superior hitter to Davis before falling over the cliff.

Well they extended Howard for 5 years on top of a contract he was already in (not replacing it but adding onto it) in the middle of a season where Howard was worth 1WAR.

If you are talking about a 70 mil buyout you only do it if you think Davis will be worth a net of nothing for the rest of the contract. When do you think Davis will drop into negative WAR territory?

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Well they extended Howard for 5 years on top of a contract he was already in (not replacing it but adding onto it) in the middle of a season where Howard was worth 1WAR.

If you are talking about a 70 mil buyout you only do it if you think Davis will be worth a net of nothing for the rest of the contract. When do you think Davis will drop into negative WAR territory?

He hasn't already?.... Well yes I think soon he will be negative, certainly by 2019 at which time we can DFA him and eat 69 million. I'd move him as soon as possible for as much as possible and move on

Good lord.

Chris Davis at 1B is not a problem - the issue with his contract is the length of it, not the AAV.

If you want to dump someone, do so with Mark Trumbo.  He's actually clogging up positions on the team like DH and corner OF.   And despite being a worse overall player than Davis, his contract (or a portion of it) is more moveable.

59 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He hasn't already?.... Well yes I think soon he will be negative, certainly by 2019 at which time we can DFA him and eat 69 million. I'd move him as soon as possible for as much as possible and move on

No. He has been worth half a win this year (on pace for 1.5 WAR this season).

Under your proposal it would be better to just keep him here and DFA him when he becomes a sub replacement level player. Paying someone to take something of value off your hands is stupid. Even if the value is slightly less than what you paid for it.

54 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Good lord.

Chris Davis at 1B is not a problem - the issue with his contract is the length of it, not the AAV.

If you want to dump someone, do so with Mark Trumbo.  He's actually clogging up positions on the team like DH and corner OF.   And despite being a worse overall player than Davis, his contract (or a portion of it) is more moveable.

Agreed.  No chance the Os eat $70MM with Davis.  Trumbo can be moved.  The length of the contract was absurd no matter how you look at it.

9 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would puke if we kept Davis and moved Trumbo. To think we are stuck with Davis and this contract for the next 4 years just blows my mind.

Don't want to cause you injury but it's 5 more years at 23 million a year, 115 million dollars of sunk cost

I'd be happy to get 50 million back and cut him loose. I really don't think we would have any takers.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis isn't the problem.  The problem is that Davis, Manny, Jones, and Trumbo are all having worse years than 2016.  

Can't deny the O's have a core group of players who are playing CURRENTLY below what they are capable of.  Odds are, those slumps will end.  Manny appears frustrated at the plate at times.  Jones' body has been banged up, and Davis, as said previously, is streaky.  

Either way though, I think regardless of who we have on our team, webbrick will start a thread just shy of vilifying said player and demanding they be traded or just dumped off the team, saying they are the worst thing to happen to the world since Crystal Pepsi whenever they have a rough stretch. 

If DD / O's brass identifies the Chris Davis contract as a major inhibitor for the coming rebuild, it may be a good idea to package Davis and his contract with Manny Machado in a trade this year.  Current thinking is that Machado would hopefully net a bumper crop of prospects.  A Davis / Machado package would almost surely net fewer quality prospects, but I would think pairing Davis with Machado would be the easiest way to dump Davis' contract.

27 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't want to cause you injury but it's 5 more years at 23 million a year, 115 million dollars of sunk cost

I'd be happy to get 50 million back and cut him loose. I really don't think we would have any takers.

I think you answered your own questions... No takers

Archived