Getting rid of Chris Davis

webbrick2010

13 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

If DD / O's brass identifies the Chris Davis contract as a major inhibitor for the coming rebuild, it may be a good idea to package Davis and his contract with Manny Machado in a trade this year.  Current thinking is that Machado would hopefully net a bumper crop of prospects.  A Davis / Machado package would almost surely net fewer quality prospects, but I would think pairing Davis with Machado would be the easiest way to dump Davis' contract.

Actually this could make some sense if the O's can't or won't extend Manny this might be doable?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

He hasn't already?.... Well yes I think soon he will be negative, certainly by 2019 at which time we can DFA him and eat 69 million. I'd move him as soon as possible for as much as possible and move on

He won't fall into negative territory until late in his contract, if at all.   Unlike Howard, he's a good defensive 1B.

Mind you, going into negative WAR value isn't a prerequisite for being willing to eat some money to be rid of a contract.     

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mind you, going into negative WAR value isn't a prerequisite for being willing to eat some money to be rid of a contract.     

This is an interesting point. I wonder what the most has ever paid to get rid of a player that had a positive WAR the year before.

5 hours ago, Phantom said:

Let's eat $70 million dollar to get rid of a player worth three wins last season who has 10 home runs in 200 PAs while slumping.

75 strikeouts in 175 at bats. They bid against themselves to overpay him and they would be better off trying to dump him before it's too late

7 minutes ago, Phantom said:

This is an interesting point. I wonder what the most has ever paid to get rid of a player that had a positive WAR the year before.

It's a complicated equation because it depends on what's coming back.    Detroit ate $30 mm of Fielder's contract after a 1.9 rWAR season , but they got Kinsler back.    Texas ate $67 mm of ARod's contract but got Soriano back.    Those are two that come quickly to mind.   

Given how threadbare the team is beginning to look, trading Manny is the best opportunity I can see to hit the reset button before another multi-year losing streak sets in.  Encumbering that opportunity by adding CD to the package would be doubling down on an already stupid contract IMO.

Chris Davis at first is an unfortunate reality we all have to deal with for a long time. It was a dumb move and it all but guaranteed since the beginning that at least the last years of the contract would be a sunk cost with a potential for more. His strike out rate was too high to ever believe he could maintain a high level of offense. I just didn't think it'd begin so early...then again it could be a slump?

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

Chris Davis at first is an unfortunate reality we all have to deal with for a long time. It was a dumb move and it all but guaranteed since the beginning that at least the last years of the contract would be a sunk cost with a potential for more. His strike out rate was too high to ever believe he could maintain a high level of offense. I just didn't think it'd begin so early...then again it could be a slump?

Well, undoubtedly he's in a slump. 11 games ago his OPS stood at .910.    Over the last 11 games it's .316 and he's struck out an ungodly 25 times.     He will snap out of it at some point.   

What's troubling to me is his increasing propensity for watching called strike threes go by, which then makes it all the more infuriating when he swings at a bad pitch.    It really feels like he's guessing out there.   

3 hours ago, beantownrefugee said:

If DD / O's brass identifies the Chris Davis contract as a major inhibitor for the coming rebuild, it may be a good idea to package Davis and his contract with Manny Machado in a trade this year.  Current thinking is that Machado would hopefully net a bumper crop of prospects.  A Davis / Machado package would almost surely net fewer quality prospects, but I would think pairing Davis with Machado would be the easiest way to dump Davis' contract.

...then they are lying.  They have $64.3 mil in guaranteed money committed to 2018 and an estimated payroll  $30 mil less than right now.

I like the creative attempt but you have to get the max that you can out of Machado.  He is the one and only blockbuster trade chip the Orioles have.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, undoubtedly he's in a slump. 11 games ago his OPS stood at .910.    Over the last 11 games it's .316 and he's struck out an ungodly 25 times.     He will snap out of it at some point.   

What's troubling to me is his increasing propensity for watching called strike threes go by, which then makes it all the more infuriating when he swings at a bad pitch.    It really feels like he's guessing out there.   

He said it himself... he can't see the pitches... whether this is vision acuity problem, or a neurological reaction time problem... I don't know

One of my big arguments against signing Chris Davis was his use of prescription Adderall while having a nicotine addiction via chewing tobacco. It just seemed an un-healthy amount of stimulants to be dumping in his body. I wonder if is catching up with him, and helped cause his early 30 flameout.

By the way anybody close to the team knwo how much chew he uses... or has he stopped?

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Like your creative thought process. Send both to Red Sox for salary relief and whatever we could reasonably extract from Dombrowski. Maybe both for Sam Travis and a pitcher.

Thanks Birdwatcher.   The Red Sox did something similar back in 2012, when they packaged Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett for five prospects.  They sent the Dodgers $11M, but with trading the trio, saved over $250M in their contracts through 2018. The prospects were James Loney, Ivan DeJesus, Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, Jerry Sands.  Only player I recognize as playing for the Red Sox is De La Rosa.  I'd expect the Orioles could do a bit better, since the salary due to Machado through 2018 will end up ~ $25M.

Maximizing Manny's value, either by trade or by long-term contract should be the approach towards him.  Using Manny to offset CD's contract would be the single least effective use of a valuable asset imaginable.  What would be the use for the money that was freed up, buy free agents?  Shouldn't replacing an aging core be a higher priority if we're  not going to build around Manny?

18 hours ago, Herman said:

75 strikeouts in 175 at bats. They bid against themselves to overpay him and they would be better off trying to dump him before it's too late

At this point the fact that he was an overpay or who his suitors were is moot. The question is if it's better to pay him ~ 125 million to play for us for the next 5 years or to pay him 70 million to not play for us.

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

At this point the fact that he was an overpay or who his suitors were is moot. The question is if it's better to pay him ~ 125 million to play for us for the next 5 years or to pay him 70 million to not play for us.

Except the conditions in which he signed the contract are not.  You can't take away the fact that ownership was involved in the process.  Any attempt to move Davis would have to be approved by the owner who coveted Davis.

Good lord, the Orioles won't eat Ubaldo's 13 million.  Heck, they wouldn't even risk eating 5 million to see if Miggy could still pitch. 70 million?  I can hear the old man yelling now.  Chris Davis will most likely be here through his entire contract as will Mark Trumbo.  

Archived